Lighting technique I saw in a superbowl ad this past Sunday

photo_guy74

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

While watching the superbowl this past Sunday, there was an ad for the CBS show "Criminal Minds" that used a very impressive lighting technique that appeared to make the faces of the TV stars "glow". I am including the link in this message to the ad I am referring to:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANz_-7K7o9Q[/ame]

Does anyone have an idea how this type of effect was created? I am sure you could always adjust ISO sensitivity to get a natural look with the right lens, but this effect looks more like a glow..Any ideas?

Hello all,

While watching the superbowl this past Sunday, there was an ad for the CBS show "Criminal Minds" that used a very impressive lighting technique that appeared to make the faces of the TV stars "glow". I am including the link in this message to the ad I am referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANz_-7K7o9Q

Does anyone have an idea how this type of effect was created? I am sure you could always adjust ISO sensitivity to get a natural look with the right lens, but this effect looks more like a glow..Any ideas?

I saw that and was captivated by it. What I was assuming they used was a ring light just based on how the light reflected off their eyes. It was definitely coming from the front either way.

I personally don't like that technique though. It makes me feel uncomfortable. Worked well for the superbowl ad. But, I saw it on a commercial with children (I think for cereal) and their eyes were freaking me out.

I am still learning...what is a ring light? I am gonna see if I can Google it, but if you can elaborate, I would appreciate it.

I'm going to guess it's more about the post processing than the lighting.

I am still learning...what is a ring light? I am gonna see if I can Google it, but if you can elaborate, I would appreciate it.
A ring light is pretty much what it sounds like, the lens is in the middle of the ring and you can see it pretty clearly, reflected in the actors eyes.

When you watch movies, look for the catchlights in the actors eyes during the closeups to see where the lights were set up for the shot.

When you watch movies, look for the catchlights in the actors eyes during the closeups to see where the lights were set up for the shot.

movies and tv havent been the same since i started doing this and looking at the bokeh.

Thanks guys for all of the help and information. I can honestly say I learned something new today. ;)

def ring light. If you wanted to add that affect with your images you would need to add a tight grid to a ring light.

def ring light. If you wanted to add that affect with your images you would need to add a tight grid to a ring light.

"Tight grid"??? What is that? Thanks in advance.

Why would you have to modify the light (with a grid)? Wouldn't you get this effect without even having to do any PP as long as there was enough space behind the subject for the light to fall off?

I think it's because you're getting falloff quickly on the head and on the body/shoulders. There's not a lot of spread from the light.

You would not get the same effect without a grid. It would give the same catchlights but it would spread light everywhere.

Oh and a grid is a light shaping tool that constricts spread of light.

Thanks for the advice. You guys are awesome!

If you want an awesome yet comparatively cheap ring light.... Abr800...I got it and its amazing.

Most reactions

Back