Lighting that church aisle shot

rtcary

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I would like to find out what other photographers use for the aisle shot when there are no reflecting surfaces and the couple is 15-20 feet away walking toward you.

For most of my images when I have reflective surfaces around me, I either use the built-in white card with my D200/SB800 combination, a "better bounce card" type reflector or a Sto-Fen. If the room is small, I will use a Light Sphere. However, the above are wasting a lot of light in those large structures.

I do have my camera set for 1/30 sec (min flash speed) and use aperature preferred with my 28-70 f/2.8 at 4.0 or I use manual with the above settings (unless the ambient level is higher) and the flash on TTL.

Todd

One of 2 things:

- 70-200 F/2.8
- 85mm F/1.4

There are times to use a flash at a wedding, and times not to. The time that the newly wed couple are walking down the isle in or out of the church... are not the times to use the flash. Matter of fact, I would discourage usage of the flash during the church part completely. From personal experience (I've beeen married twice myself and attended at least 40 other weddings), I find it annoying and seeing other photographers doing this, I find it distinctly unprofessional.

Most times I would have everybody line up in the front of the ceremony area as they were and have them come back down again after everything is through. I do this first. Then move onto the bride and groom shots. Then her parents. Then both. Then just his. Then bring up the ladies. Then the men and shoot them all. Then just the men. But I do it all afterwards. I found that all ministers I have ever dealt with insisted on no flash during the ceremony with which I complied (I always asked).

I would like to find out what other photographers use for the aisle shot when there are no reflecting surfaces and the couple is 15-20 feet away walking toward you.

For most of my images when I have reflective surfaces around me, I either use the built-in white card with my D200/SB800 combination, a "better bounce card" type reflector or a Sto-Fen. If the room is small, I will use a Light Sphere. However, the above are wasting a lot of light in those large structures.

I do have my camera set for 1/30 sec (min flash speed) and use aperature preferred with my 28-70 f/2.8 at 4.0 or I use manual with the above settings (unless the ambient level is higher) and the flash on TTL.

I once had 2 helpers in the church on either side of the aisle, just outside the FoV, each with a 5600HS D flash gun in their outstretched hand above their heads pointing at the bridal procession. I had a third one. All set off wirelessly with IR by the peanut pop-up flash. That photo had a lot of re-orders. The background quickly faded into darkness, though.

When it comes to processional shots I have always relied on straight on flash mounted on a bracket. Getting creative with this is one thing but you want to make sure whatever you do is a very proven technique because there are no second chances with this hence the straight on flash. In all the weddings I have shot I have NEVER been forbidden to use a flash during the processional. I have been to some extremely restrictive churches and it has always been the case when they restrict flash to stop using flash directly after the processional. By the way Jerry no matter what you consider professional there are just times during a ceremony that you just have to use flash fast lens or not it's just how it is.

By the way Jerry no matter what you consider professional there are just times during a ceremony that you just have to use flash fast lens or not it's just how it is.

Perhaps I`ve not hit a dark enough church yet... but I`ve not found a reason to blast the B&G or processional into the face or even off from the sides yet with a flash in any circumstance (so far). And yeah, blasting a flash head on into the processional, I would not consider very professional if there are other options that let me get the shot without the flash... and we all know how much I love my off camera flashes! (I sure hated it when it was done to me both times, and the results with it, I`ve honestly yet seen that I would prefer over a fast lens-higher ISO picture, but I suppose that is a personal preference) :)

That's funny cause I have worked with 20 or so different wedding photographers over the years all using fast glass and every one of them use flash for the processional.

That's funny cause I have worked with 20 or so different wedding photographers over the years all using fast glass and every one of them use flash for the processional.

I do not find it funny, just a difference of opinion and technique. Since I also do not enjoy being blasted in the face with a flash... I've decided to get the shots without it when I shoot others in the processional that way. I feel it more common courtesy than an attempt at being humerous.

At around 10 feet a flash pointed backwards should add enough light for a nice shot and nobody gets blinded. Unless it's a huge church a pair of strobes in the back aimed at the ceiling lift the ambient right off the floor too. It just takes a remote you can switch off. A PC cable for the bracket flash and a wireless on the hot shoe can make your lives a lot simpler. :)

Or not, what ever you like I suppose.

At around 10 feet a flash pointed backwards should add enough light for a nice shot and nobody gets blinded. Unless it's a huge church a pair of strobes in the back aimed at the ceiling lift the ambient right off the floor too. It just takes a remote you can switch off. A PC cable for the bracket flash and a wireless on the hot shoe can make your lives a lot simpler. :)

Or not, what ever you like I suppose.
If a 30/36 foot range is enough for you: IR is a lot cheaper than Pocket Wizards. And a lot less charging to do! Not many cameras seem to have the IR feature, though.

At around 10 feet a flash pointed backwards should add enough light for a nice shot and nobody gets blinded. Unless it's a huge church a pair of strobes in the back aimed at the ceiling lift the ambient right off the floor too.

I`ve certainly not been to all churches, but at all the churches that I have attended at, none had a low ceiling (most were 15-50 or more feet high), and none but one of the churches that I attended had white walls to bounce off of along the path of the processional. Bouncing off that would give me strange colour casts (shades of brown, beige, yellow, gold, whatever the wall colour was). Bouncing behind me has never yielded any increase in light as I would be usually shooting both the wrong direction and into empty space.

I could see using the flash while the couple was at the altar, but thats one of the places that the priest and couple again do not want flash. Also, it is very difficult to get flashed pics to look like there is no flash (its a VERY dynamic environment, with little time to play around... its NOT a studio environment), especially if your are blasting it into their faces from 5-35 feet away.

I completely avoid all of that by using a faster lens and higher ISO.

I am not saying to never use a flash at a wedding, becuase there are a million good places and times to do it, but at the processional, I would have to stick to the opinion that this is one of the least desireable places to use flash.

Jerry, Don't take my word for this (don't take my word for anything since you don't know me ;)) but do go and try the backwards flash bit. I didn't believe it either but it works pretty well. you can even get a black bounce card and place it under the flash to keep the light out of people's eyes behind you.

This isn't a cure-all but does have it's place.
You can do some reading about it here.. http://planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/1-natural-looking-flash/

You might back up and go through this guy's whole site as well, I think that it's nicely done.

Enjoy your Monday! :)

I am not saying to never use a flash at a wedding, becuase there are a million good places and times to do it, but at the processional, I would have to stick to the opinion that this is one of the least desireable places to use flash.

I just don't get it I have been shooting weddings professionally for 6-7 years for myself and 2 different studios and in all of that experience and in all the different venues I have shot it with every level of strictness of officiant from the most open to the tightes and strhictest the ONLY place that I have never been forbidden to use the flash during the ceremony has been the processional.

I just don't get it...the ONLY place that I have never been forbidden to use the flash during the ceremony has been the processional.

You didn't get it... lol
You may be able to use a flash during a processional, but I choose not to, becuase I find it serves me better not to (and we are back to that issue of blasting the B&G in the face with flash :confused: ).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back