Lighting.

Now would the difference for the 800's and 400's be immaculate? Because the 400's are 50 dollars cheaper, yet i think the 800's would make for a better setup later down the road... Any side by side tests?
-Rob

If you ever work outside you'll probably want to grit your teeth and set the B800 as your minimum.

You should be able to do some nice work indoors with the B400 within reasonable limits.

The nice thing about AlienBees vs. flashes (strobist method) is that you have a constant light source to help you aim the lights, focus more quickly, have the subject's pupils constricted to reveal more of the iris, etc. There are different settings, but you can have it so the constant light shuts off when the flash discharges, and comes back on when the flash is recharged. So you have a visual indicator to let you know when it is ok to take the next shot.

I read something somewhere that says I can return the 400s within 2 years for 800's for only the price difference plus 25$. Anyone ever do this?
Thanks.
-Rob

Personally I went with the 150ws Flashpoint II 320A. It seems like it produces more than enough light for a portrait but maybe I'm off base as this is my first light and I haven't put it through the ropes yet. http://www.adorama.com/FP320PWK.html I only got the one light setup but this is what might work for you. The only real issue I've read about is that there is a limited scope of modifiers for them. So far every modifier I've looked for for them they have on adorama and it would be a reasonable purchase to help out this forum (just make sure to click through the link at the top).

Most reactions

Back