Lighting

Are you looking to obtain flash heads (strobes, external flashes) or a continuous lighting kit?

Both are usuable the latter being less expensive.
Strobes are preferred for many reasons, one being that continuous light can get hot and hard to sit through as a model.

Taking into account your budget you might have a hard time finding a reputable strobe kit for that price.

When I say that continuous light is usable, im kind of pushing it.. Most continuous lights are dial up and dial down which is pretty analog (which means you turn a nob to switch from anywhere from 75 watts - 1000 watts - average -. Having a flash head allows for easier use of flash meters as well.

Last edited:
I was looking to get something to start out with, that would be good for when I am doing portraits in home.

I don't want to waste money on something that will not be good and would rather continue to save.

Light stand + speed light + convertible umbrella.

I was looking to get something to start out with, that would be good for when I am doing portraits in home.

I don't want to waste money on something that will not be good and would rather continue to save.

Thats a good way to think.

Start at www.alienbees.com
If that isn't working out for you, try www.elinchrom.com and have a look in the D Lite 2/4 section.

Last edited:
You'll have to work out some way to get your D40 to fire those strobes so take into account a method to trigger them since your camera doesn't use the CLS system. A set of Vivitar 285's with some Cactus triggers are pretty cheap and with a set of light stands and umbrellas, you'd be well under your budget. Midwest photo just released their Lumopro flashes too for around $130, and they sell full kits there too for a reasonable amount.

You'll have to work out some way to get your D40

Many cameras other than the D40 lack sync ports. Even my d90 doesnt have a sync port. Regardless of whether you have a sync port most serious photographers are using wireless sync terminals anyways (be it pocket wizards or skyports). Not having a sync port is definitely not a reason to run away from high powered flash and settle for external.

All that said you don't even need wireless transmitters. For the d40 you need this 20 dollar attachment to make your camera ready for strobe sync. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AS15-Synch-Terminal-Adapter/dp/B00007EDY5"]Nikon-Sync-Terminal.[/ame]

You can fire anything with something like this: 3066 Nikon AS-15 Non-Dedicated PC Sync Terminal Adapter.
and it will work on your D40. So I would recommend strobes. Start with one, or two. Your budget looks to allow you two quality strobes with umbrellas or softboxes. Good luck, and have fun!

OK, cool thank you for the advice. I have the sync in my cart, and now I am looking at lighting. I am really not sure what amount of watts would make a good strobe, but I found this kit, and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this would be good, and if it would work with my camera and the sync I am getting. I have a D40

RSSBSLK3 RPS Studio 480 watt, 3 Monolight Portable Strobe Kit, with PC Cords, 3 Umbrellas, Stands, Infrared Trigger & Heavy Duty Nylon Case.

Thats pretty tricky. At first I thought "Hell yeah! A 480 watt strobe is a decent power outtage", but its actually three 160 watt lights adding up to 480.. tricky. 160 watts max is a bit weak. Might want to find something thats at least 300 watts per second PER flash head. Alot of people use 300 watts or 600 watts, or a mix of both.

Monolights often run off batteries you're probably going to want sometime thats powered by AC as usually they are more powerful.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back