Lighting

JamesD

Between darkrooms
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
One thing I've struggled with since I realized it was a major factor in photography is lighting. I've searched the internet, bought books, and read through this forum, and found a lot of good information, but sometimes, it can be a little difficult to find.

It seems like this is a subject which is a bit neglected, even though it's quite critical to good photography. So... I was wondering whether a forum or subforum for lighting might be a good idea? What think ye?

-JamesD

I'm actually working on a project as we speak about lighting. I hope to have a tutorial together here pretty soon and will have it posted. I too realize that lighting is one of those problems that most of us struggle with and want to have something for us to all use. :D

I didn't want to start a new thread because I do see many many threads on lighting issues so I thought I would just throw my question in here as it fits my problem best.

I have an Olympus C8080 that I use to take self portraits. It is a very nice camera, at least I have been told by photographers. For a long while I have been making due with cheap reflector spotlights that I have regular clear bulbs in. The problem I am always running into is yellowish grainy pictures. I have tried adjusting my white balance and the ISO with really no better luck. So I have recently purchased a starter lighting kit by smith victor http://smithvictor.com/products/detail.asp?prodid=69&id=11&pid=1&s1=Lighting+Kits&s2=Strobe+Light+Kits&nm=KF2U+KIT

I shot some photos with them a couple of nights ago and I'm still coming out with the same results. I know this may be a dumb question lol but seriously do I need to add more lighting like a main light source aside from the two strobes(told ya lol it might be dumb)? Does anyone recommend any particular photography course? My livelyhood does sort of depend on the photos I take and I am trying within my budget to produce the best that I can. So I definitely need to learn on how to improve myself. So if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it tremendously. Thank you!! :lovey:

i think the proper light is one of the keys to a good photographic image. all you need its creativity, a good composition and good light (and of course you should be able to master your equipment)... that is "all" you need ...

so i think the lighting issue is discussed in most subforums anyway.

but still having a specific subforum might be useful, i agree

hobbes28 said:
I'm actually working on a project as we speak about lighting. I hope to have a tutorial together here pretty soon and will have it posted. I too realize that lighting is one of those problems that most of us struggle with and want to have something for us to all use. :D

I too would like to read more about lighting. I look forward to the tutorial......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back