Lighting

MarkA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The light wasn't too good when I took this picture, but I like the way the clouds & sky look. Is there any way of getting the rocks in the foreground lighter while retaining the sea and sky as it is?

FB1.jpg

Is there any way of getting the rocks in the foreground lighter while retaining the sea and sky as it is?

Traditionally, you would dodge those areas area while making the print. Now with software you can make selective adjustments in post process, using levels adjustment layers.

350552607_1c8c688733.jpg

here you go mark. basically i put a lasso around the forground rocks (satying inside them) feathered by 5 pix and used a curve adjustment layer. lifting the curve in the middle to the top left. same was applied to rocks further out too. also selected sky and did same dropping the curve to darken it a little and show more clour contrast.... all was done in CS2 but sure you can do same in elements 4/5

Hope it helps

Oh, oops, Paul, yours now looks like two different photos one lying on top of the other... you must feather your lasso.

Hmmmm......what I did was rectangle the lower portion to the sky and adjusted with levels and then brightness and constrast for the entire shot. Then unsharpen mask........ Messed up, huh???

Thanks for the advice & thanks to Shotcorp & Acsonpg for the edits. Up close the rocks look fantastic, it's a shame to leave them as dark blobs.

Most reactions

Back