Lightning show!

The Empress

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a new camera the other day, so here are my first shots w/ it!! These have not been edited other than cropping so any C&C is very welcome!!!

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

Lightning1.jpg

They are cool shots but I think all of them are OOF.

Thanks for your comment! Do you have any advice for trying to focus on lightning? B/c it's not like you have time to focus on the lightning as it strikes, just to a general distance.

Hey Empress, I can't see your photos due to work computer, but a suggestion on focus.

Set the lens to Infinity and turn AutoFocus off. With a remote shutter release or self-timer, shoot 10-30 second exposures.

Hey Empress, I can't see your photos due to work computer, but a suggestion on focus.

Set the lens to Infinity and turn AutoFocus off. With a remote shutter release or self-timer, shoot 10-30 second exposures.

Thanks! That is what I did lol maybe u can provide additional options once u can see them :) I would really appreciate it!!

Yeah, I have never tried lightening before (I live in Southern CA) so I am sure you did better than I would on my first attempt.

As mentioned I would just turn AF off and set it to infinity.

If you were to shoot it in Aperture Priority, would you want a really small aperture like f/22?

For a first attempt, that isn't bad, but you are definitely out of focus. You need to focus on a distant object, and then turn off the autofocus.

For a first attempt, that isn't bad, but you are definitely out of focus. You need to focus on a distant object, and then turn off the autofocus.

And what do you suggest I focus on? I am sitting out in the middle of the county w/ no lights around anywhere other than the flashes of lightning. And as i stated above, i did have the AF off and the focus point was set to Infinity.

I have found on my cheap starter lenses that the infinity mark is mostly for show...you might have to test it out in all manual in the light to figure out the exect place for inifinity, also it seems not be the same for every lens, the DX ones are the worst for finding infinity. Good first try, actually it would be good for a seasoned hobbist, better that I have been able to do yet...I am still trying the moon.

I've heard that it is wise to turn off any image stabilization during long exposures as it can effect the sharpness of the picture.

I've heard that it is wise to turn off any image stabilization during long exposures as it can effect the sharpness of the picture.

Any time you shoot on a tripod you should do this.

OK... 1st things first. yes they are all OOF. When shooting lighting I usually focus at the max. For the most part this will be fine. Take it of auto focus. Manual for everything. Here is a shoot i took that National Geographics is considering for a magazine and was featured of Fox News inn Oklahoma. Dangerous Midnight Uncroped. Pictures of Lightning by Sachphotography

The color looks good but you need to work on the focus. What camera are you shooting with? How many MP? higher MP for cropping is always good... Also shoot using non more than maybe an 8sec exposure. Keeps noise down... Anywho... let me know if you have any questions.

If you were to shoot it in Aperture Priority, would you want a really small aperture like f/22?

No...
This would cause difraction which would seem like OOF
never go above f18 tbh
keeping in mind, Different lens' vary!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back