Lightning!!!

bluesaphyer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey All,

A small storm rolled through last night. The view from my back porch is pretty limited, but I got some okay pics. This is my first real attempt at lightning photos.

Any and all comments are appreciated, especially if you have some tips for me for next time!

Enjoy!
Julie

IMG_8741.jpg

IMG_8728.jpg

IMG_8753_1.jpg

I think these are great photos. You captured the lightning as well as the silhouettes of some trees to give the image some perspective. Well done.

Awesome work. All three are amazing.

i like them all! i've always wanted to do this; problem is i'd have to point the camera straight up which narrows my chances. thanks for posting! we must be getting the storm now you had last night.

Thanks Everybody! :mrgreen: I'm usually afraid of storms, but now I can't wait til the next one!

Julie

Raymond J Barlow said:
totally amazing.. now you can give us some tips??? how the heck... 20-30 sec exposures?? well done!

Thanks! Basically I set my camera on a tripod (D Rebel XT), and pointed the camera to where the lightning was. Framed with the trees and such. I set the camera to 100 ISO, 5.6 aperture, and enabled mirror lockup. Oh and I shot in Raw so I could adjust the exposure after, but they didn't really need much adjustment. Then using a cable release I would open the shutter for 8-10 seconds at a time, except if I got a lightning bolt, I would close the shutter immediatly after. I couldn't really go any longer than that because there's a lot of street lights around me. But really the only reason for leaving the shutter open longer is to increase the chances that it will be open during the strike.

I did some post processing to these photos last night. I gave them a blue tone in PS, and reduced the noise using NEAT image. I like them much better now. Heres one of them:

IMG_8753.jpg

- Julie :wink:

Ohhh I really like the blue tinge you've given it. The originals are still great - but I think I prefer the blue. You're so brave!

Whoa!!!!!! Very Very Nice shots :hail: :hail: :hail:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back