Lightning

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had this picture, and I really like. Your job if you so choose is to make me dislike it because a problems that you see with it.

1. How about the border, to big still?
2. To dark?
3. Not enough lightning?
4. does the tree on the right do a good job of a natural border?
5. The power poll in the background distract you?

532836605_f414910883_o.jpg

Perhaps I can help answer your questions, purely because I am a rank amature :)

The border does seem big but seeing as your framing using the tree on the right I don't see how you could change that.

For the action in the distance the brightness seems great, however because its a long shot I think its a little too dark, all the dark sky in the top half of the image seems to overcast the whole pic in my opinion.

The lightning looks great, its just a shame the fork on the right didn't come through the cloud better...

The pylons arn't distracting for me but I think it would make a better picture without them, or at least without one, the symetry is a little distracting perhaps...?

As I said at the start, these are just my impressions, I know incredibly little about photography as I'm a complete novice. I think the picture is great and I hope to be able to take many like it in the future!

Thank you for the advice!!!! I'll look into when I get home. I know have this terrible time with my borders and it looks like I have done it again... LOL... back to the drawing board.

1. How about the border, to big still?
Not for this image... at least for me, though it may be because of the grey background of the forum

2. To dark?
Don't think so

3. Not enough lightning?
Yeah, next time tell Zeus to bring it or stay home. (<-Just kidding)

4. does the tree on the right do a good job of a natural border?
Yep.

5. The power poll in the background distract you?
Not me, but I'm not easily distracted. They even bring some sense of proportion and place.

Now something you didn't ask; I'd crop a bit of the top to center the attention on the lightning and the colored clouds. You'd lose part of the tree, but I think in this case it would work fine.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try that once I get home tonight as well... I somewhat quickly edited this one last so that I could enter it into a little contest at flickr. Funny thing is... I entered a different one instead.

#1 I think its a great shot as is, Wouldn't change a thing.. you captured a a good moment here, the lighting is secondary to the rest of the composition in this.. The lighting and sky are super... actually see the rain in the distance..

Lighting shots are pretty much , Bulb and luck... You did well... Its the skill to know where and when the bolts are coming , or at least an idea... and also the willpower to get out and try to take a pic like this! I think you did a super job, and don't touch a thing, the Long vertical framing is great , sky sky sky!!

1. How about the border, to big still? It&#8217;s fine

2. To dark? IMO just a little iin the upper left, the rest is fine, maybe an 4x5 crop

3. Not enough lightning? Works for me

4. does the tree on the right do a good job of a natural border? IMO yes

5. The power poll in the background distract you? Did not see them on first look

Most reactions

Back