lightning_042

johngpt

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
20Aug08, and finally a storm passing off to the west with lightning frequent enough to try setting the shutter speed at 10 seconds. Was able to just keep pressing the shutter (cable release), and more often than not, there'd be a flash. Some rather 'eh,' but some quite nice.

This storm was very far off in the distance. This is tremendously cropped, showing less than one-third of the total image.

The advantage was that the camera (and me too) were nice and dry!

2788669730_48d95c9ea1_b.jpg

40D, EF-S 17-85 lens at 59mm, ISO 100, 10sec at f/5.6.

Even cropped, it's still pretty cool! One of the best lightning shots I've seen on this site.

I'm dying to get an opportunity to take a picture of lightning. Great shot!

Thank you both. This lightning stuff has become sort of an obsession. :mrgreen:

Incredible picture! I especially like how the lightning illuminates the rain.

Thanks. I was glad I finally had the opportunity to have frequent enough flashes to try the leaving of the shutter open for 10 seconds. I think that helped capture the cloud illumination. Prior to this series, I'd had to shoot at a 0.3 sec shutter speed, which could catch the lightning flash, but not much else.

Or it could be that the circumstances of the cloud configuration this night lent themselves to being illuminated! :lol:

This is stunning, I love the purple tones and the way the lighting lights up and emphasises the swirling rain. The composition is perfect!

Tim

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwow. :lol:

Best one I've seen. I love how you can see the rain patterns in it, too. Awesome shot!

Most reactions

Back