Lightroom 5

I use the Cloud and I haven't received any notice on Adobe deleting Lightroom.

I use the Cloud and I haven't received any notice on Adobe deleting Lightroom.

And you won't. To clarify that point, as I understand it, if you subscribe to the Creative Cloud, you ALSO get LR.

If you just want Photoshop, or some other CS6 software, you can no longer (well, after CS6) just buy the software outright, you HAVE to subscribe to the Cloud to get updated versions of those.

But with LR, you CAN just buy the software, OR you can also get it with a Cloud subscription (with the full subscription, not a subscription to an individual program like PS).

Well this year I deemed anything photography related has to be purchased by the business. so as it stands. that purchase will come down the line lol.

Has anyone seen any reviews on the improvements and whether it's worth the $79 or not?
There have been plenty of reviews and videos etc. floating around...seeing as the beta has been out for a few months.

One of the biggest things that appeals to me, is that the spot removal tool is no longer just a spot...it acts more like the healing/cloning tool in Photoshop, where you can paint the shape that you want to remove etc.

Various other things of course...a quick search should turn up a plethora of results. ;)
They needed to upgrade the spot removal tool. It sucks. That is one thing I have to go into PS for quite often.

Has anyone seen any reviews on the improvements and whether it's worth the $79 or not?
There have been plenty of reviews and videos etc. floating around...seeing as the beta has been out for a few months.

One of the biggest things that appeals to me, is that the spot removal tool is no longer just a spot...it acts more like the healing/cloning tool in Photoshop, where you can paint the shape that you want to remove etc.

Various other things of course...a quick search should turn up a plethora of results. ;)
They needed to upgrade the spot removal tool. It sucks. That is one thing I have to go into PS for quite often.

Kathy, I totally agree with you on that point. I did not try the beta version for fear of not being able to give it up and go back to LR4, but now that it's out, I'm getting the money together to upgrade.

Still learning LR4 which I had to get when I upgraded to D800/ some of the new features in LR5 are appealing. But $79 appealing is the question.

Trying 5 currently. In 29 days I will buy it- IMO it is a huge improvement as stated above. Also faster response.

I have gotten into an ordeal over LR5. I tried to download and install the free trial and found out that it requires Windows 7 or 8. Well crap, I was running Vista (Yeah, I know it sucks but it worked well for me). So last night I try to upgrade to windows 8 and it won't download, so I have paid for an OS that I can't get loaded on my machine. This could be a fun night and weekend trying to get all of this stuff together.

I'm thinking of buying the new Tamaron F2.8 70-200 VC and I have a Lightroom question. When you check the lens profile corrections box, will it make any vignette from the lens automatically correct?

I have to say that I wasn't an enthusiast of lightroom at all till 5th version (I've made my attempts with almost each beta versions (except 4th ones) but till 5th I didn't managed to deal with all of its slowness).
I can tell that now it is totally usable for me and I don't need anything faster (I don't apply for batch process of hundreds of pictures). Moreover mentioned by KmH lens corrections tools (especially perspective) are a great solutions for each architectural (and of course not only) photographer. It surprises me how great works auto mechanism. Most of the times it is sufficient and there is no need to interrupt it by additional manual corrections. It is a true timesaver.

IMO it is worth spending money on both upgrade and single version.

If you want to buy Lightroom (essentially a lifetime user license) it's $149.

By looking at the Adobe site, I don't see Photoshop CS6 offered for sale, but you can join the 'Creative Cloud' and always have the latest version for $20/month.
You can still find Photoshop CS6 in stores, basic version is $639. Photoshop Extended is $999 (don't ask me the difference).

Of course, anyone thinking of getting the software should ask themselves if they really need Photoshop. It's a very large, comprehensive program that will do more than any one person will need. Most photographers would be happy with the 'lite' version, Photoshop Elements. Photoshop Elements isn't available on the cloud, and is available for purchase for $99.

And to be clear, you don't NEED both Lightroom and Photoshop (either full or Elements). Photoshop (along with Adobe Bridge) will do practically everything that you can do in LR. LR just streamlines it and makes it much easier and faster. And there are many, many things that you can do with Photoshop, that you can't do with LR.
But that being said, Lightroom will do 90% of what 80% of photographers need to do on a daily basis.

Defining need is fairly easy for folks in my position, and, perhaps, for the OP. Its sorting through the great information provided here and in tutorials to narrow selection to one 'best fit' where it gets more difficult.

My volume of photos to improve is in the 100s, not 1,000s, and the scope of editing is elementary: red eye removal, cropping and a few image enhancement steps will fill the bill for me. As my level of experience grows, having some additional tools would be great. Simplicity of operation is a key factor while cost is not.

I'm not sure my level of experience and needs parallel the Op's, but we might need a similar system. Any ideas for those of us want to keep it simple, at least for now?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back