Lightroom CC eats all my memory!

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've never had any Lightroom issues until I upgraded to CC. Its locking up when either I use the crop tool or hover over presets. Doesn't do this all the time, but enough to the point its starting to get annoying. If I am listening to music at the time, the music will stop and make crazy sounds but I'm sure that's due to the memory being maxed out. I normally have to go into task manager is force Lightroom to close.

I am running Windows 10 by the way. When Lightroom locks up, I check the performance in the task manger and noticed Lightroom is using all 16gb of ram, that's right..16 gigs of ram! When I had this issues earlier I thought it was because 8gb of ram wasn't enough, so I decided to spend more money and double my ram. But that didn't seem to fix the issue.

My specs are Intel i5 quad core sandy bridge running at 4 ghz, 16gb of DDR 3 PC17000 cas 9 timing, Z77 chipset and Samsung 840 Pro SSD in which Lightroom is installed. Storage is on a WD black drive. I don't think performance is an issue. I super exceed Lightroom minimal requirements.

The only thing I don't have is a dedicated video card, but Lightroom is not really graphics intensive.

I create a catalog for each year so they stay relatively small. I also changed the catalog cache to 10gb as well.

I didn't have this problem with Lightroom 5.7. So I am hoping this might just be a performance bug and that it will be fixed.

I don't know what else to do, if anyone else had this problem and solved it..please let me know!

Last edited:
Something is wrong.
I have LR CC on Win 10 and it never happens that way
This is a problem for Adobe support.

upload_2015-9-18_18-33-22.png

I'm not as up to scratch on checking performance etc as you guys but lightroom cc for me on windows 10 is problamatic. I sometmes have to close it and re-open and it freezes a lot, but I assumed it was bugs that would be fixed in a short time due windows upgrade

I've never had any Lightroom issues until I upgraded to CC. Its locking up when either I use the crop tool or hover over presets. Doesn't do this all the time, but enough to the point its starting to get annoying. If I am listening to music at the time, the music will stop and make crazy sounds but I'm sure that's due to the memory being maxed out. I normally have to go into task manager is force Lightroom to close.

I am running Windows 10 by the way. When Lightroom locks up, I check the performance in the task manger and noticed Lightroom is using all 16gb of ram, that's right..16 gigs of ram! When I had this issues earlier I thought it was because 8gb of ram wasn't enough, so I decided to spend more money and double my ram. But that didn't seem to fix the issue.

My specs are Intel i5 quad core sandy bridge running at 4 ghz, 16gb of DDR 3 PC17000 cas 9 timing, Z77 chipset and Samsung 840 Pro SSD in which Lightroom is installed. Storage is on a WD black drive. I don't think performance is an issue. I super exceed Lightroom minimal requirements.

The only thing I don't have is a dedicated video card, but Lightroom is not really graphics intensive.

I create a catalog for each year so they stay relatively small. I also changed the catalog cache to 10gb as well.

I didn't have this problem with Lightroom 5.7. So I am hoping this might just be a performance bug and that it will be fixed.

I don't know what else to do, if anyone else had this problem and solved it..please let me know!
I asked the traveler a question so let's see what he says.

One thing is to make sure all your W10 is currently updated. Another thing is to check optional updates for a Intel HD video driver update as well. Those two things are important.

You should not need a dictated video card for it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah its all up to date. Sometimes I can go weeks without it happening. Then all of a sudden it will happen 3-4 times in a week. It even done it on loading JPEGS from my phone!

I have a GeoForce 740 4 gb card.

I suggest you might look into an inexpensive dedicated video card.
A lot of the older video cards and probably integrated chips are not Win 10 compatible even though the Windows check-out finds them OK.
I had lots of trouble with an older card, when I changed that all those problems disappeared.

I have a GeoForce 740 4 gb card.

I suggest you might look into an inexpensive dedicated video card.
A lot of the older video cards and probably integrated chips are not Win 10 compatible even though the Windows check-out finds them OK.
I had lots of trouble with an older card, when I changed that all those problems disappeared.

Interesting. Mine has Intel Graphics 4000. It appears to be working fine with Windows 10.

A friend of mine is giving me his old Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 for free. Just gotta wait for him to get back in NY so he can grab it and ship it to me. I think that card is more than powerful enough for Lightroom, lol.

I don't think you issue is video but more in a preference setting. I don't use the program but am an expert on hardware and pc systems. I scanned some forums and it is a common issue in both Mac and Windows OS's. 16gb of ram is good unless you have Photoshop and LR open at same time, in that instance 32gb of ram is recommended. The common theme for memory issues are too many plug ins and problematic preference settings in light room. Also, the support for the common issue is pretty lame, people are throwing hardware at it and still having issues. Anyway, I can't see your machine but I did find one article that actually was logical and should get you through it. Hope it helps. For what it is worth, I use Linux Slackware and Gimp on a custom build i5 ivy, 16gb ram, 120 Intel ssd, seasonic 650watt gold PSU, ADP card reader, Server storage. I did myself. I have a professional video card (not gaming) for rendering and engineering applications.
Lightroom 6 Bugs and Performance Issues

Last edited:
Thanks. I tried disabling "use graphic processor" but it seemed to have made it worse. I don't know..I might just wait until my friend sends me his video card and go from there. But I personally don't like its video related. The only thing that make sense to me is some sort of bug that has yet to be worked out. I have no plugins installed by the way..just the ones that come preinstalled. I'll read more on that link, but I gotta go to bed. Shooting a massive car show tomorrow.

Thanks. I tried disabling "use graphic processor" but it seemed to have made it worse. I don't know..I might just wait until my friend sends me his video card and go from there. But I personally don't like its video related. The only thing that make sense to me is some sort of bug that has yet to be worked out. I have no plugins installed by the way..just the ones that come preinstalled. I'll read more on that link, but I gotta go to bed. Shooting a massive car show tomorrow.
OK. Its your rig. It won't hurt to have dedicated card. If it solves it, then it's an Intel GPU driver issue. Hope your power supply can handle this video card (gpu). If not, you will really have issues.

Last edited:
OK. Its your rig. It won't hurt to have dedicated card. If it solves it, then it's an Intel GPU driver issue. Hope your power supply can handle these video card (gpu). If not, you will really have issues.

Yeah I got a corsair TX650M. Should be plenty.

Oh, that's perfect, more than enough.

Oh, that's perfect, more than enough.

yeah, I only have a light overclock on it. Next thing I want to do is replace my other hard disk with a large SSD. $250 for a Samsung 512 ssd...lol..I paid like $200 for my first 128 SSD. Atleast the price is finally coming down.

Get rid of the overclock for now. Eliminate all potential hardware issues. How much ram does LR use when it first opens? Nothing else running?

Most reactions

Back