Lightroom CC

On the Adobe forum I believe i read that 6 would be the last version and that they would not be providing any more updates for previous versions. So even in June there would not be a Camera RAW update for the D7200 to work with LR5. I'll go back and see if I can find that post.

Whenever a new version comes out they always stop updating the old one. That's nothing new.

I think I will upgrade when I upgrade cameras, probably in a year or 18 months' time. I bought the photomatix HDR plugin for LR 5.6 so I have that base covered. I will probably need a new mainboard and processor too, but that can wait another year as well.

I've heard that 6.0 will be the last stand-alone version offered. Any truth to that? I nosed around in CC after downloading it last night. Seems to be okay as far as Lightroom. Like I said, I've never used Photoshop, so that's not a deal-breaker or a deal-maker. The GPU acceleration sounds interesting, not sure I had it on or not. I'll play with the 30-day free trial before making a decision, I guess.

Right now LR 6 and CC are the same except with CC you get LR Mobile and LR web, but if down the road Adobe adds any enhancements and new features you will get them immediately with CC, otherwise you have to wait for LR7. It's pretty unclear on whether there will even be a LR7, rumors are you will have to go to CC at some point if you want the latest features. Adobe will still have those mini updates for LR6, ie. LR 6.2 with new lens and camera support.
I have the photographers plan and even if you don't use Photoshop, it's not a bad deal to always have the latest LR features for $120/year if it's something you use often. I like the new features a lot and the GPU acceleration is great. Before, certain things like Spot Removal would get sluggish and it's much faster with LR6/CC. You can tell if LR is using your GPU by going into Preferences and under the Performance the box should be checked by "Use Graphics Processor." You should see your graphics card listed below it.

Since I do not need Photoshop, it is either subscription CC Lightroom or LR 6 on a DVD. I can pay a year subscription upfront and enjoy it for a whole 365 days with some mini updates for cameras I do not own. Or I can pay slightly less and get LR6 that I can use for as many years as I wish. Hmm, let me think :biglaugh:

I signed up today! Yes, the GPU acceleration is noticeable on my machine. Besides.......... it's time I learned how to use Photoshop! Thanks all.

Yeah @snerd, now, don't hurt that shoulder trying to learn it.
Good thing I'm right-handed! It's feeling a little better each day now. Plus I'm getting a little more strength back every few days too. Hopefully in a couple more weeks I'll be able to start walking again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back