Lightroom Help

cott

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have Lightroom 5.4 and I just got a Nikon D750. For some reason I am unable to import my photos? I get a message that my files are not recognized by the raw format support in lightroom. Anyone else experience this? I previously used a Nikon D7000 with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Welcome to the world of immediate obsolescence. Adobe, (and many other software makers) want to make sure that when you buy a new body you have to upgrade your software as well. You might want to consider going with this to avoid the problem. $9.99 a month for Lightroom and Photoshop.

At some point I expect to have a similar problem. If you do convert to DNG then I suggest you keep and archive of the RAW files.

Nikon's Raw file format is proprietary and as such they don't share the file particulars with Adobe nor any other companies.
Adobe has to reverse engineer the file type so their software can open the new .NEF file type Nikon has to develop for each new camera.
That requires considerable effort on Adobe's part.
That Adobe does not make the newly reverse engineered file available to old versions of their software is a good business practice.

Consequently it is Nikon and not Adobe that one should look to as being the cause of the issue.

And, you don't have to upgrade your Adobe software - as stated above.
But you do have to convert the file to the .DNG file type to open the file in your older version of Adobe's software.
The .DNG file type was developed by Adobe and is now and open source, free, unrestricted file type anyone can use.
Adobe Digital Negative Converter 9.x

Adobe probably doesn't reverse engineer. More than likely the probably license the rights to the code. That way Adobe gets the code quickly and Nikon and the other camera makers make money on something that they know Adobe and the other software companies are going to have one way or another.

I have Lightroom 5.4 and I just got a Nikon D750. For some reason I am unable to import my photos? I get a message that my files are not recognized by the raw format support in lightroom. Anyone else experience this? I previously used a Nikon D7000 with no issues.

Do an upgrade to version 5.7

Version 5.7 should support the D750.
From the Menu .. far right "Help" then "Updates.." which is near the bottom.

I used version 4.4 for the longest time with my D7000 DX and D600 FX. I still have version 4.4 too (or the latest v4.x).

When I got my Nikon P7800 the RAW was not in the compatibility with the v4.x. But I didn't use it much and mostly for video and then JPEGs. It required LR v5.x for compatibility.

Then when I bought my D750 I *had* to upgrade as Adobe won't at various points do any backwards compatibility for NEF/RAW files. I then bought version 6 and have been using it ever since with the D750 (LR v5.x) and D500 (LR v6.x).

Since Nikon always produces NEF RAW files, why does the program have to be updated? What's Nikon changing?
It changes with each new camera because the hardware and software in each make/model of camera changes. Even if the make/model of camera uses a non-proprietary Raw file type like DNG.

DNG is an open source file type and the camera makers that use DNG just put the new camera's DNG file particulars in the DNG database.

Welcome to the world of immediate obsolescence. Adobe, (and many other software makers) want to make sure that when you buy a new body you have to upgrade your software as well. You might want to consider going with this to avoid the problem. $9.99 a month for Lightroom and Photoshop.

I feel like I still have so much to learn in lightroom so the thought of learning photoshop as well is too much! I definitely may do this is the future!

Do an upgrade to version 5.7

Version 5.7 should support the D750.
From the Menu .. far right "Help" then "Updates.." which is near the bottom.

Upgraded and all is good! Thank you!

Most reactions

Back