LightRoom or Aperture

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by RyanLilly, Nov 11, 2007.

1. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would like some feedback, about lightroom and Aperture. I was set to buy Lightroom, but since I am also a Mac user I thought I would consider Aperture as well since apple tends to make things quite pleasurable to use.

I know that a few people one here have or use both programs, and would love some feedback as to whitch way to go.

thanks,

Ryan

2. Ihaveaquestion

Ihaveaquestion TPF Noob!

I have lightroom and I like it. Not sure how much better it is then just using bridge and adobe Raw?

3. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I downloaded the 30 day trial version of Lightroom yesterday and, so far, like what can be done with it.

If any students read this thread, can you give me some idea of the savings gained if purchased with a student card for Lightroom and PS CS3. My youngest son is senior at ECU and I thought.........

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    People make 30 day trials for a reason ;) My vote is for lightroom, I've seen aperture used but not used it myself.

5. Ihaveaquestion

Ihaveaquestion TPF Noob!

Adobe gives you a HUGE discount through there site.

I got PS3 Extended for $300 and lightroom for $100.

You just have to email them a copy of your student ID and class schedule.

6. dtlasky

dtlasky TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I own and use both quite often and I would have to say that I enjoy using aperture more, mainly for aesthetic reasons. I find that aperture fits much cleaner into the OSX environment, and that the application itself is laid out in a much nicer fashion. If you haven't tried it yet there is a 30 day trial available which I suggest you take advantage of. With lightroom everything seems much more cluttered and confusing to me, and I absolutely love the full screen capabilities of aperture.

Well theres my $0.02, without going to far in depth.

7. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for all the info, I guess Ill try the 30 day trial of each. I do often find that the way apple organizes and executes things just seems to work very smoothly, and it seems that lightroom has become another industry standard set by adobe, so I'll try em both.

Seeing as I have never used either, if any distinct advantages/differences exist from either one, Id appreciate any other advice, but seeing how they are both award-winning software makers, I would thing that they are both fairly comprehensive.

Ryan

8. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have used both, and honestly I would say it is a "pick-em". Either one does a good job, and they are both about equally easy to use.

I personally use aperture, but like Lightroom equally as well.

I would say go with whichever costs less... if all else is equal, choose the cheaper.

You won't go wrong either way.

9. domromer

domromer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Better yet just go to the college bookstore and get it. Same price and no shipping. Out store is selling lightroom for 100$

10. Stranger

Stranger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I vote aperture, i used lightroom for a while and just recent tried aperture. Love it so far, just seems a tad smoother. Both are great and operable

11. guitarkid

guitarkid TPF Noob!

i got lightroom when it first came out and that is all i use. i love it. never used aperture but heard great things on it.

12. domromer

domromer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm doing the lightroom trial now. I can't say I'm in love with it. I'm going to watch some of the video tutorials tonight and see if I can't get to know it a bit better.

I'd like to try Aperture but I got in bundled with my MBP and it says my trial is over. I've never opened the darn program. It just starts as soon as you start your computer for the first time.