Lightroom Presets........ Do You Use Them?

snerd

Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
internetwhispers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I realized I've been using Lightroom for almost 2 years now.................. and I don't ever use the Presets! I don't know, I just don't ever think about them. I get my images the way I like them in the Develop module, then I'm pretty much done. Do you use presets at all during or after basic adjustments?

Not really as part of my workflow - I prefer to do my own adjustments. But they can be particularly handy when shooting tethered, because you can shoot in colour and Lightroom converts the file non-destructively straight into black and white, for example, so you can immediately see on the screen if your shots look as you expect. Then you can either keep the conversion or reset it and do it again afterwards.

My camera can't write my copyright details into the file, so I use a metadata preset with the copyright details when I import...

presets change all your adjustments.

I have gathered a lot of them throughout the years, but rarely use them.

the only ones I'll use, and not often at all, are David Kingham's night photography presents. And of those I basically only use his preset for setting the white balance

Occasionally I'll look at them and use them. Not very often though. For me, I use them sometimes to give me an idea of something to do with a photo. Maybe give me some inspiration of what a certain photo would look good, better and possibly best.

But I'll admit, since I change to CC in December, I don't think I've used a LR preset. My work flow has changed and I do basic editing in LR and then move over to PS to finish them.

I have a few that I made and use them as part of my workflow. When you have to edit 3000 photos per event, the presets can come in handy. :D

I use the vscocam add on presets but I always tweak them a bit, never just on their own!

I now use VSCO film presets too. I was using Alien Skin exposure, but the fact it's an external editor was driving me nuts, what with the time it took to process the images. I've never used the stock presets.

I use a good number of them. I like the B&W color filtration effects, some vignettes,some color effects, some vintage color effects, and so on. I like Hawaii Five-O in all three variants, and some of the New York Style pre-sets, as well as Matt's vignettes in strengths 1,2,and 3. I got my non-stock presets mostly from here Lightroom MATT KLOSKOWSKI

As you probably know, you can take a preset, adjust it to your liking and then SAVE it, and re-use it on similar files or similar subjects. Here's a Lindsay Adler video that shows how to use presets. If you don;t use them, or have never used them, spend the 4 minutes and 52 seconds to see what you're missing.

Lightroom Presets - YouTube

I have collected / created a lot of black and white presets and also those with differing vignettes ... just saves me about 2 minutes per photo, which works for me.

Most reactions

Back