Lightroom tone curve

gayle23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I finally managed to get Lightroom and am now trying to get my head around the Tone curve panel. I have watched some tutorials and want to put in different points so that I can adjust the shadows, midtones and highlights. In the videos I watch they just seem to click and a point appears but when I double click nothing happens?? Am I missing something? So I wan't to create my points so I can start adjusting to create some contrast in my images. Can anyone help?
Thanks Gayle

I think I just worked it out finally. I was using the radial curve rather than the point curve! Thank you for your help though anyway. I have managed to make some points now.

Be aware, the Curves tol has HUGE power as a fast editing tool! The curves control offers a lot of power over how an image looks. Even a minor curves re-positioning can make a MAJOR impact at the end of the editing process. If there were only ONE single tool I could use, it would be curves.

Be aware, the Curves tol has HUGE power as a fast editing tool! The curves control offers a lot of power over how an image looks. Even a minor curves re-positioning can make a MAJOR impact at the end of the editing process. If there were only ONE single tool I could use, it would be curves.
Good to know! I've watched a few videos on it and it's pretty amazing but I need a lot more practise with it. I just bought some presets more for me to learn how they achieve certain looks. Do you ever use presets or do you just create your own? I learned the 'previous' button function which has been very helpful!

I have a large collection of Presets, which I got from Matt K....back when he had a Lightroom page.

I've also created a number of presets that I use regularly. Presets can also be fully modified at any time. They are a HUGE time-saver and a productive way to accomplies huge numbers of edits in little time.

Presets can EASILY be created, named, and saved in Lightroom. Look at Lindsay Adler's YouTube video on how to cvreate a custom preset!

Yeah, the Previous and the Paste Settings commands in Lightroom are wonderful things.

I LOVE presets, and the ability to apply a "Look" to images in a fast, repeatable, yet customizable manner. Almost two decades ago, Kodak created its professional-level software with what they called "Looks", which could easily be applied to the raw files from their expensive DCS-series 7xx pro-DSLR bodies; back when both Canon and Nikon had utter crap cameras, and shoddy software.

The ability to shoot a raw file and paste a "look" onto it was a masterstroke of genius, and it was NOT adopted by Canon or Nikon.

Thankfully, Adobe developed Lightroom, and moved away from the outdated, pixel-level, laborious editing of images in Photoshop, and moved to this newer parametric image editing model.

Most reactions

Back