Lightroom..

robinchun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.robinchun.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Doesn't seem to be thread for post processing and workflow etc; (if there is please point me in the right direction) so I'll ask.. who uses Adobe lightroom and has anyone moved from what is now called Classic Lightroom to Lightroom CC and what do you think of the cloud based application?

Robin

I'm using it and while, yes it does have less but a recent update now includes split toning and the new auto edit, I think Classic Lr will eventually go or not get updated and CC will have all the features and get new updates.. I have an old pc so having all files in the cloud fees up much needed space on the hard drive.. also as a lot of cameras these days have Wi-Fi its so easy to add and do editing on what ever you have to hand

Robin

When LR Classic goes away so do I and most of it's customer base. Tried the cloud, refuse to use it, end of story.

I love the new Lightroom CC, I've pretty much stopped using Classic all together. Faster, more stable, easier to work with and waaaay more streamlined. Can handle just about any editing I need to do, and anything more in depth I can edit in photoshop directly through CC.

I'm a huge fan.

Lightroom's Develop module is the same Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) that is Photoshop Camera Raw.
ACR was included with Photoshop years before Adobe made Lr.

Lr's primary function (the Library module) is image database management and has always been intended to be a front end app to enhance Photoshop, not be a replacement for Photoshop.

Which is why, unfortunately, as a database manager Lr has some significant limitations. Lr can only open 1 catalog at a time and that 1 catalog can only be accessed by 1 computer at a time.

What Adobe is now calling "Lightroom CC" (not to be confused with "Lightroom Classic CC" is the program they used to call "Lightroom Mobile".

I used to use this very infrequently from my iPad... but found it to be extremely limited. For one, they resampled images to a smaller size (not sure if they still do that) ... it could not open true un-adjusted RAW files direct from the camera. Also they now have desktop clients for it (previously it was just a mobile app).

I might imagine that in the future they'll add to it's capabilities... but the current version is far too limited to be useful. In fact it's so limited... that I feel like the free Apple "Photos" app that Apple includes on all iPhones, iPads, and Macs is at least as powerful (and that's not meant to be a compliment to Apple Photos... it's more of a ding on Adobe "Lightroom CC".) While Apple's Photos software isn't my favorite... at least it's free. Adobe actually expects us to pay for that level of functionality.

My greater concern is that they slapped the label "Classic" on the original "Lightroom CC" ... which smacks of "that's the old legacy version that we plan to support for a limited time and eventually dump." -- no, they didn't actually say that... but that's how I interpret the use of the word "classic". And if that's the case... I need to find some new software.

Possibly Adobe expects to continue to improve their new "Lightroom CC" ... but today's version doesn't come close to having feature parity with the "Classic" version.

What Adobe is now calling "Lightroom CC" (not to be confused with "Lightroom Classic CC" is the program they used to call "Lightroom Mobile".

I used to use this very infrequently from my iPad... but found it to be extremely limited. For one, they resampled images to a smaller size (not sure if they still do that) ... it could not open true un-adjusted RAW files direct from the camera. Also they now have desktop clients for it (previously it was just a mobile app).

I might imagine that in the future they'll add to it's capabilities... but the current version is far too limited to be useful. In fact it's so limited... that I feel like the free Apple "Photos" app that Apple includes on all iPhones, iPads, and Macs is at least as powerful (and that's not meant to be a compliment to Apple Photos... it's more of a ding on Adobe "Lightroom CC".) While Apple's Photos software isn't my favorite... at least it's free. Adobe actually expects us to pay for that level of functionality.

My greater concern is that they slapped the label "Classic" on the original "Lightroom CC" ... which smacks of "that's the old legacy version that we plan to support for a limited time and eventually dump." -- no, they didn't actually say that... but that's how I interpret the use of the word "classic". And if that's the case... I need to find some new software.

Possibly Adobe expects to continue to improve their new "Lightroom CC" ... but today's version doesn't come close to having feature parity with the "Classic" version.

Hi Tim
CC now supports full size original files but now cloud based, the edit/develop features are not as complete as Classic but as there has been a recent update adding the split tone feature I'm pretty sure it won't be long until we have a 'full' feature Lr CC, and as you rightly say Classic will become a stand alone not added desk top only application

Robin

Most reactions

Back