Lightroom2 and Photoshop CS4

VaE39

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for an editing program to use for the future on my pictures. Right now I'm more of a contrast, crop, sharpen kind of guy but I'm willing to learn to do more drastic edits. I am a student and I am able to get 1 of the adobe programs: LR2 or PS. Lightroom2 is $99 dollars and Photoshop is $199. Which would you suggest for me in the future? From what I know LR2 is an easier to use program that offers me the basic abilities to edit while being able to open numerous files easier. PS is more extensive and complex but would require more experience.

CS4 is much more versatile and it's what I suggest you pick if you had to choose just one program.

I have both, and all I use PS for is framing the images and more drastic effects.

LR2 allows you to adjust most of the values of the images, and keeps everything organized.

I suggest demoing each of them (Adobe allows you to demo their software for 30 days) and then deciding. However, if I had to pick just one for majority of post processing, I'd go with LR2.

I suggest demoing each of them (Adobe allows you to demo their software for 30 days) and then deciding. However, if I had to pick just one for majority of post processing, I'd go with LR2.

+1

I've also used both and would say LR is the way to go if all you wanna do is produce some great PP'd photos. Yes PS is a more powerful tool but I would say it's easier to learn how to edit photos in LR. If you want significantly change your photos, then go to PS.

I'd get both. Though, I have both so that's not saying anything.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with PS, just for the more powerful tools. Way more powerful tools. Though, organization might be a little bit of a nightmarish prospect. Really, both programs work best with the other (well, as part of a photography workflow).

I'd buy the CS4 with your discount since it's over $600 usually, whereas LR is only $260, so it will be a lot cheaper to buy later. You will want both though,

If there was any way (including selling blood, collecting returables) you could get both now. I would do it. The student discount is very good deal. The student license is only good for 1 computer though, and not transferrable to anyone else. But when you do an upgrade to a newer version later on (I upgrade every other version), you will go back to the normal 2 machine license. This is a very good deal to save some bucks. Both programs have an advantage over the other.

I have both and use both. Just about equally, maybe a little more towards LR2.

My suggestion is this: go with Photoshop since that is just a great deal, and it's a fantastic program. Then, go to kelbytraining.com and preview some of the training videos there. They are incredibly worthwhile in gaining knowledge of so many of the basic tools and processes in Photoshop (and photography in general). If you like what you see, pay for a month and learn as much as you can. I never thought I would subscibe to video training (being the tightwad that I am), but it is worth EVERY penny.

Good luck!

http://www.kelbytraining.com/

My suggestion is this: go with Photoshop since that is just a great deal, and it's a fantastic program. Then, go to kelbytraining.com and preview some of the training videos there. They are incredibly worthwhile in gaining knowledge of so many of the basic tools and processes in Photoshop (and photography in general). If you like what you see, pay for a month and learn as much as you can. I never thought I would subscibe to video training (being the tightwad that I am), but it is worth EVERY penny.

Good luck!

Training for Photographers, Graphic Designers, Illustrators, Multimedia Artists, and Hobbyists | Kelby Training

I am on my 2nd months membership. It's an amazing site.

i have both LR2 and photoshop cs4...id go with LR2...espically if u shoot alot of photos and dont want to spend all day editing...LR2 is the way to go...i used to use photoshop at first...then i started using LR2 much better and faster...keep everything organized

The 2 programs are designed by Adobe to work together. If it is at all possible I would get both. If not, I would get CS4 Extended now and start learning how to use it and then get Lightroom later.

I would also get a student membership to the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) for support from their numerous experts in learning how to use the software.

The NAPP forums, thousands of expert tutorials, 8 issues of Photoshop User magazine, and additional savings on other software and hardware from their 'perks' program make it well worth the $88 student fee. There is a link for NAPP down there in my siggy if you'd like to check it out further.

I am also a student and am trying to decide between the two. You are talking about Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended for $199, correct? I was curious if there was any downside that you found compared to the CS4 Design Standard for $299? From what I understand the Extended offers all that the latter does plus more, right? I really need to do more research, but was curious what you have come across. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back