Lightweight tripods.

Viera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
  • Hi all, new here, second post. I gave shooting film for a living quite a few years ago, after 35plus years of doing it. I have recently started back again, purely for fun, and managed to find my Studio Tripod (Multiblitz) which weighs a ton, so very unportable. My question is, can you nice people reccommend some lightweight quality kit thats suitable for use with cameras around the 6-7 lb mark? Something that can be added to a Camera (LowePro) Backpack for ease if carrying. Thank you.
  • Regards
  • BV

I have been pleased with the mefoto roadtrip. Fits on side of the bag nice. It feels sturdy although i have not tried it with the 70-200. Mostly have used with smaller lenses and a 5d.

Stable
Lightweight
Cheap

You can only get 2 of those 3 in a tripod.
Lightweight and stable will not be cheap.
Lightweight and cheap will not be stable.
Cheap and stable will not be lightweight.

Don't forget to add weight you need to hang on the tripod (or put on top of the camera/lens) to add stability for wind.
If your heaviest camera/lens combo is 6-7 pounds you need a tripod and head that has weight capacity of about 3x more than that - or 18 to 21 lbs.

Last edited:
I have been pleased with the mefoto roadtrip. Fits on side of the bag nice. It feels sturdy although i have not tried it with the 70-200. Mostly have used with smaller lenses and a 5d.

Hi, Thanks for the reply, will take a look and see what its spec is. I can't carry my other thing without getting a Hernia probably, and as I intend to be stuck in wild...ish places it needs to be light. Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.
Regards
BV

Stable
Lightweight
Cheap

You can only get 2 of those 3 in a tripod.
Lightweight and stable will not be cheap.
Lightweight and cheap will not be stable.
Cheap and stable will not be lightweight.

Don't forget to add weight you need to hang on the tripod (or put on top of the camera/lens) to add stability for wind.
If your heaviest camera/lens combo is 6-7 pounds you need a tripod and head that has weight capacity of about 3x more than that - or 18 to 21 lbs.
Hi, Thanks for there reply, not too worried about cost, but more on the fact that it will do the job and be stable with large lenses on it. If I could carry my Multiblitz I would, but it weighs in at around 18-20lbs with the camera plates. Its extremely stable and was used with Sinars & Blads for years. But, now I am older (71) I can't lug it around, and some of the places I intend to go are a bit of a walk. I looked at the Carbon Fibre Tripods, but couldn't seem to get any sort of realistic info on their ability or quality, hence the post. Thank you very much for the reply and info, any recommendations?
Regards
BV

Most reactions

Back