like macro, but no $$ for a macro lens? well lookie here :)

The DOF is distracting on this one...took me awhile to figure out it was a penny. At first I thought it was a dragon fly (and no, I'm not on crack). I personally spent the money on a 100mm Canon Macro lens and I love it...but this is awesome too. I'm also a big fan of DIY...I just need my DIY projects to look professional, otherwise I feel like a jackass using them in paid situations.

haha, nice work! Come to think of it, I DO have an old pair of binoculars laying around, LOL! :mrgreen:

Very nice. hmmm...ya know, I never even knew that there is a person in that building on the back until this close up. His behind looks kind of funny though LOL

Hey. I have a penny macro shot too.. made with Sigma 24mm macro though... heh, heh. I do like your DIY. If you're just doing macro for fun, saving money is great.

I love DIY projects!!! You get a full applause from me...

I've been considering getting a dedicated macro for sometime but I could never justify the cost because I just don't do macro enough... even though I can afford it. I think its time to make better use of those old binoculars I have laying around.

Silly thing is.... I somehow ended up with the 1:1 life size converter specifically for the Canon 50mm macro... BUT I don't even own the 50mm macro lens. I don't know how but I guess I acquired it during my years of equipment dealing of the past.

Wow Happy Hour, you sound bitter...like you spent a God awful amount of money on the Canon 180mm L Macro or something. The quality is not **** like you say, it's actually pretty good...especially for free. And he never claimed 1:1, and if you notice most lenses that claim macro are not even close to 1:1.
I'm not bitter at all! And I didn't spend hundreds on a macro either! But I don't go around cutting up cardboard boxes and saying look I made a lightbox!!! Or I seen one moron cover a umbrella in tin foil!LMAO!!!! OMG! How pathetic! A studio umbrella cost like 20-30 bucks. But instead he took a $12.00 umbrella and $3.00 in tin foil. and got garbage results. Oh it took him 3 hours to do also. I make $37.00/hour, So 3hours of my time is $111.00 plus 12.00 for the umbrella plus 3.00 for the tin foil =$126.00 I think instead of waisting my time ill spend the $30.00 for the umbrella and get the right results the way they were intended then waist $126.00 doing it the wrong way! So I wasn't being bitter! I was simply looking at How much time was waisted for a picture filled with noise and lines. if you want to be that cheap just put a magnifying glass in front of your lens and get the same results without waisting any time or $. Like I said the lengths people go to just to save a few $$ when you actually end up spending more time than money. KUDO's for your creativeness!!! But I would rather spend the money to get the right stuff with the right results!

I make $37.00/hour

Not everyone makes that much money.

Some people shoot as a hobby and it makes perfect sense to spend 3 hours messing around with your hobby.

I'm not bitter at all! And I didn't spend hundreds on a macro either! But I don't go around cutting up cardboard boxes and saying look I made a lightbox!!! Or I seen one moron cover a umbrella in tin foil!LMAO!!!! OMG! How pathetic! A studio umbrella cost like 20-30 bucks. But instead he took a $12.00 umbrella and $3.00 in tin foil. and got garbage results. Oh it took him 3 hours to do also.

Oh, so many things to say, but in what order...

(A) For some of us, we get like $40 a fortnight to spend on our hobby after living expenses - and $40 is pushing it, normally closer to 20. Saving 15 on an umbrella is $15 extra we've got to go towards a homemade lightbox... We can afford a bigger cardboard box to cut holes in then. :p

(B) $37 an hour, great, but I only work 8 hours a day, for the other 16, I'm not getting paid anything, so 3 hours spent making something for my hobby in that 16 hours hasn't cost me anything.

(C) Some of us are not looking for professional results, we're looking for passable results. Homemade stuff which saves 15 bucks will quite often give passable results.

(D) Some of us enjoy the challenge of making things, rather than taking the easy way out and buying them. We like doing things with our hands, learning how things work. It's part of the hobby.

So if you want to spend hundreds of dollars on your gear, be my guest, but don't go laughing at people or calling people morons just because they do stuff like this, producing great results for minimal cost. Take your elitist attitude somewhere else, we don't want it. :thumbdown:

I'm not bitter at all! And I didn't spend hundreds on a macro either! But I don't go around cutting up cardboard boxes and saying look I made a lightbox!!! Or I seen one moron cover a umbrella in tin foil!LMAO!!!! OMG! How pathetic! A studio umbrella cost like 20-30 bucks. But instead he took a $12.00 umbrella and $3.00 in tin foil. and got garbage results. Oh it took him 3 hours to do also. I make $37.00/hour, So 3hours of my time is $111.00 plus 12.00 for the umbrella plus 3.00 for the tin foil =$126.00 I think instead of waisting my time ill spend the $30.00 for the umbrella and get the right results the way they were intended then waist $126.00 doing it the wrong way! So I wasn't being bitter! I was simply looking at How much time was waisted for a picture filled with noise and lines. if you want to be that cheap just put a magnifying glass in front of your lens and get the same results without waisting any time or $. Like I said the lengths people go to just to save a few $$ when you actually end up spending more time than money. KUDO's for your creativeness!!! But I would rather spend the money to get the right stuff with the right results!
Take a chill pill. This is the BEGINNERS forum. :hug::

Oh, so many things to say, but in what order...

(A) For some of us, we get like $40 a fortnight to spend on our hobby after living expenses - and $40 is pushing it, normally closer to 20. Saving 15 on an umbrella is $15 extra we've got to go towards a homemade lightbox... We can afford a bigger cardboard box to cut holes in then. :p

(B) $37 an hour, great, but I only work 8 hours a day, for the other 16, I'm not getting paid anything, so 3 hours spent making something for my hobby in that 16 hours hasn't cost me anything.

(C) Some of us are not looking for professional results, we're looking for passable results. Homemade stuff which saves 15 bucks will quite often give passable results.

(D) Some of us enjoy the challenge of making things, rather than taking the easy way out and buying them. We like doing things with our hands, learning how things work. It's part of the hobby.

So if you want to spend hundreds of dollars on your gear, be my guest, but don't go laughing at people or calling people morons just because they do stuff like this, producing great results for minimal cost. Take your elitist attitude somewhere else, we don't want it. :thumbdown:
Well said. This crap has no place in the Beginners forum. :thumbup:

Damn, give a man a break...sheesh.

And don't get so but hurt. It's the internet, you came off as snotty and snide...as does your above response.

Oh and I think that man on the back is the Abe Lincoln memorial thingy...

Most reactions

Back