lil 'Angelina'

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by jemmy, Jul 6, 2006.

1. jemmy

jemmy TPF Noob!

well her name is actually Chloe, but she seems to have picked up this nickname.....any guesses as to why:lol: ....last week i made the mistake of letting miss luscious-lips try my lipgloss and today i used it as a bribe to try to get some shots of her... my boy llllllloves the camera but miss princess tends to be 'difficult!!!!' so anyway, here are a few that i liked ... prefer the look of the ones with more window light, the others look a bit dull to me....(am posting re. raw processing in another section - got some more questions!) any comments/critique/advice much appreciated xx:heart:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    less light here - still natural window light, but not enough i think? also i think i bummed up the focus point somehow - loved the laugh though!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Canon 350D with my brand spanking 50mm 1.8 lens (which i adore:heart: already!)
    aperture priority mode, iso 100, mostly @ 1.8
    not sure if the white balance is right, always rely on auto - any advice would be great though..
    shot in RAW, then converted to TIFF using my cameras zoombrowser software... only adjustments were bumping the digi exposure comp +0.5 to +1..... not sure why, but i always seem to need to do this before i'm pretty happy.... if anyone wants to share how i could get it right without editing, im all ears:confused: Sorry for the babble... thanks heaps for looking xx

2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, personally, I do love the very even light and the plenty of captured highlights in her eyes in the very first photo best of the entire series.

#6 has the loveliest smile, but a smaller aperture would have helped this one, I think, to get a deeper DOF. But as you say: her smile in that one is irresistible! :D

Cool idea to bribe her with the lip gloss. :D
    She is so pretty - why does she not pose for the camera, I wonder? (She is but only little, though, she might get to liking it eventually, and if only for a period of some years after which she'll again NOT like it and turn all self-conscious - ask me, I have a thirteen-year-old here and she HATES being my subject).

And "Angelina" ... erm :scratch: ... erm ... nooooooooooooooo idea where that nickname might come from :wink:

3. fotophia

fotophia TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    those are some beautiful shots!!! what a little darling she looks ^_^

4. Mindii

Mindii TPF Noob!

Oh my, she is a cute one isnt she! I really like some of the compositions that you have used here Jemmy! I also think that the light is great!

5. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is a nice series.

One thing I noticed is that in all of them, she's facing into the shadows. I would like to have more light falling on her face. In the first ones, she's in direct sun so you wouldn't want to turn her around, but a reflector would have helped a lot here. The light coming from behind her would go over her shoulder, bounce off the reflector, and then softly light up her face. A piece of white foam core or even a white sheet or towel can do the trick. In the latter ones, she's already in difuse light, so having her face into it would work well, though adding a reflector wouldn't hurt.

I think #3 has the best light, and is great as it is, but even that could get more oomph from a reflector.

6. jemmy

jemmy TPF Noob!

Thanks guys! Marc, i totally hear you... my little subject wasn't co-operating terribly well so i pretty much fired away - i had thought about trying a reflector but was busy enough telling her about the 'gorgeous (though invisible!) puppy outside the window to keep her in the one room for long enough to get a half-decent shot!!!!! Can i ask, Do you prop your reflectors up or hold them? I have seen ones with handles??.... i made one by covering a big cork board with al foil but i'm sure there is a better alternative - it is tricky to get it to stay upright! ?
    Big mike - i certainly need to reed up more on using my camera metre properly - i must admit i rely on the 'brains' of my camera for this at present.....as far as RAW conversions go, then i gather i need to adjust EVERYTHING!!! not just the exp.comp?? Unless i convert to B&W, i have been pretty much leaving the other tools... was a little scared of the sharpness one 'oversharpening' (like the USM can) and of the saturation giving too much 'colour' to the skin tones; I also find that adding contrast seems to exaggerate any under-eye-shadows but this is probably to more to do with my poor lighting skills?!!
    Does anyone have any set adjustments that they apply to images when converting or does it definitely depend on individual images???? xx
    Sorry to babble on, thanks again x

7. saulmr

saulmr TPF Noob!

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

AWWWWWWW... Great Expressions!

8. bytch_mynickname

bytch_mynickname TPF Noob!

I really love her expression in #7. She is a very cute model.

I just got the same lens and having trouble getting use to the DOF, great job.

9. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I attached one of my tripod's quick-release plates to the middle of it so that I can just pop it on the tripod and have that hold it in position. You could also just lean it against a chair or table. If it's big, the exact direction doesn't matter as much. Sometimes just draping a white sheet over nearby furniture helps, as long as the sun is reaching it.

As far as adjustments, the only time I adjust at the time of conversion is if there are blown highlights. If there are, I bring the white point down (exposure). Otherwise I do all of my adjustments as layers in Photoshop.

10. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

I'll second that. Usually, I wouldn't like lipstick on such a young model, but you have the color so perfectly keyed with the clothing, I think it works well here.

Pete

11. jemmy

jemmy TPF Noob!

Like i said, the lipstick was purely used as a bribe to get a few piccies of my little princess - she is not always the most co-operative little so-and-so!! I certainly am not into the Little Miss America Beauty Paegant thing but because i liked my 1st shots with my new lens, i figured i would post them anyway.... and lippie aside, i think she is beautiful... even if she is difficult:greenpbl: Hopefully i will be able to get some lipstick free shots sometime in the near future x