Lil Me.............C & C please

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Sgtchavez, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Sgtchavez

Sgtchavez TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm still trying to find my identity as a photographer. As a painter, I spent a lot of my time working on assignments or things that were expected of me. As a photographer, I want to try different things.............I'd love to do war photography one day but who knows. Here are some shots of my sister's son at the park. It was broad daylight when I decided to give it a shot.............I borrowed my friends Sigma 24-70mm lens. Critiques are welcomed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. clbowie

clbowie TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They seem overexposed and washed out to me. Cute little boy though!!

3. Sgtchavez

Sgtchavez TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, it was really bright out here in Sunny California. The park made it difficult with all the shades and the kid would not sit still...........lol

It was also my first try at shooting kids. When you say washed out, what do you mean by that?

4. clbowie

clbowie TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I know how kids won't sit still!! I have two of my own, but at least one LOVES the camera!!!

I guess I should correct that .. I just said the same thing twice, LOL, sorry! Overexposed = Washed out.

I'm just starting to focus more on photography too, so I know all too well about learning all the different things to do and not do. Finding the time, for now, is the hardest for me!

Good luck! Keep posting pictures! :D

5. Sgtchavez

Sgtchavez TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Time is the biggest issue with me as well. I often get invited to go assist for a friend photographer or just shoot around with him but I've found to be very difficult since I have a full time job, school and unfortunately, time is very limited.

I promised my sis that I will give it another try soon. We'll see.

6. pugnacious33

pugnacious33 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The first two seem a bit soft. The last one is perfect. A classic shot, it doesn't seem washed out at all to me.

7. Brutus

Brutus TPF Noob!

The first two have focus issues, but the last one has good detail on the face. They are definitely bright pictures, but in the last one, the best in my opinion, has good detail on the face (the most important part, imo) and isn't washed out where it counts. But yeah, maybe try lowering the exposure just a touch.

8. stsinner

stsinner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    They don't seem sharp at all. Maybe the softness was intended, but they look out of focus.... Even if they won't sit still, in Sunny California you can use a very fast shutter speed. I agree with clbowie-the color is blah..

And cute kid.

9. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Invest in a circular polarizer. They do WONDERS for shots in the sun. Take down some of the harsh light, saturate the colors more, reduce glare and reflections. I swear it's the best money you'll ever spend performance/dollar perspective on a camera accessory. GOTTA have it.

10. Photog

Photog TPF Noob!

I like the last the most but I find that tilting BG way too distracting.

11. Sgtchavez

Sgtchavez TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'll definately make a note of that. My wife said I could have something decent for my camera as a christmas gift. I'll just keep sneaking the little things by her.......;)

12. Sgtchavez

Sgtchavez TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The softness was somewhat intended. I had my friend show me editing techniques on his photoshop. At that time, I hadn't yet purchased CS3 and most of my photography advise and editing was coming from him. He suggested that softer skin in little kids is ideal.

Thanks