Linux and my new Nikon

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Wannafish, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Wannafish

Wannafish TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So, I'm very excited about my new Nikon D5000 and what I'll be eventually be able to do with it.

I run Linux as an operating system on my computer but the Nikon software that came with the camera is not compatible with this operating system. The Linux software that I use to transfer the files from the camera onto the computer is call F-Spot Photo Manager and does a fine job in recognizing the camera. The problem is that every file is saved twice with one being the proper "jpeg" file and the other being a file with a washed out image called a "nef" file..

Does anyone know why this is happening and what can I do stop it. Also, can I delete the "nef" file without harming the "jpeg".

2. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

I believe the .nef file should be the Nikon RAW format. Not 100% sure since I use Canon.

If that is the case, you can use UFRAW to read the RAW file and/or import it to GIMP if you like.

UFRaw - Home

3. minister

minister TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yes , if you find two file on one single shot and it is a nef you have setting enable of jpeg+RWA