Listen to what happened to me

Naicidrac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I came home yesterday after a long day at work to find that my house was burglarized. The took my Meade telescope, my Nikon with various lenses, sony camcorder, all my tools (saws, nail guns, hand tools), my wife's jewlery, firearms, etc...They also took a camera bag with filters, shutter release, spare $50.00 camera batteries, but I found the bag in the alley behind my house. Thankfully my brand new Nikon D80 with 18-135 lens that sat right by my 35mm Nikon ended up being defective. I sent the week old Nikon D80 back to the retailer on Tuesday for an exchange. What sucks is that I am still finding stuff that they stole. They even took my 2 year old daughter's clothes and shoes. What kind of people were these. I just wanted to vent and let my emotions out. I am still realizing things that were stolen. Oh ya, they also took a CC, and all ouf our SS cards. I put a fraud alert for my wife and I's SS# with the three financial institiutes and canceled the card last night. I also called the bank and put a freeze on all of our account info. They got into our filing cabinet and looked through a bunch of stuff. I will talk to you guys later and thanks for the support. At least no one in my family was hurt and all of that other stuff can be replaced.

Yikes...I'm sorry to hear that you have been so violated. I hope things work out for you & your family.

Thanks BigMike, yes I have been violated. Things will work out and everything can be replaced. I will not let this get me down. Thanks

Wow...what a drag. Soo sorry to hear about your loses. Sure hope things end up ok for you. Take care.

I'm so sorry to hear that. You are right though, it's right to focus on the positive that your family wasn't harmed and the "things" can be replaced. I'm so glad you called to report your cards and SSN as stolen, identity theft is a horrible thing to deal with.

Thanks for the words of encouragment, also just to let you guys know. I called Equifax 1-800-525-6285 and it was pretty easy to do and not that much automated stuff. They also notify the other two credit institutions, Experian and Trans Union to notify them. I found about about that number on a website about identity theft. You can call that number and put a fraud alert on your SS# so within the next 90 days if anyone tries to open any kind of credit using that SS# and alert pops up and they call a number you provide to verify. Thanks again for the positive thoughts.

Naicidrac said:
Thanks for the words of encouragment, also just to let you guys know. I called Equifax 1-800-525-6285 and it was pretty easy to do and not that much automated stuff. They also notify the other two credit institutions, Experian and Trans Union to notify them. I found about about that number on a website about identity theft. You can call that number and put a fraud alert on your SS# so within the next 90 days if anyone tries to open any kind of credit using that SS# and alert pops up and they call a number you provide to verify. Thanks again for the positive thoughts.
Good for you, for jumping all over this and being so proactive. :thumbup: You may indeed have been victimized, but you're not acting like a victim. So sorry it had to happen to you. I'm glad your family is safe. Good luck to you, and take care.

Oh NO!! What a major hassle for you! It is so mind-boggling that they'd take your 2 year old's clothing! Much less all that other stuff of value. Ummm, re the firearms, do you have to report those to the police?

So sorry to hear about this! But it looks like you took the right steps towards stopping those @$$holes in their tracks. Good for you! The way I look at it... Naicidrac 1 - thieves 0 :D

We were burgled several times when I was a kid. The wierd thing is they only stole some of my mothers stuff (single parent). I think the cops and insurance thought we were scammers. Happened 4 times. Then we came home and just about caught them. They were taking the ladder from our garage and going through the bathroom window. When they were done they would put it back. After we almost got em. They stopped.

Loss was definately not as big as your. And it is more important to be safe than to have toys!!

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. I know how much it can throw your life into a mess for awhile.

We've been burgled several times at our place of business and eventually got a security system. I'm saving up for a video survailence addition to it now. It stopped the last attempt, they broke into the building but the alarm went off and they ran off. Just a broken window to repair.

We've been here for 43 years and it's been in just the last 4-5 that we've had problems. Before that we could leave our doors unlocked and never worried. Now we've been hit 4 time in the past 5 years as well as getting robbed in Barcelona Spain on vacation. What a mess getting credit cards cancelled, re-issued in spain as well as drivers license and passports.

Be happy that no one got hurt. Material things can be replaced but not your loved ones.

Just for an update. I have replaced my old things with newer things and things are looking brighter. I didn't let it get me down and now I am wiser. Here is how I have beefed up my home secutiry. I have placed padlocks on all my an outside gates just to slow someone down. I have two motion sensing 200 watt flood lights in the front and back. I know the burglary happened during the day, but just to be safe I installed them. I placed padlocks on my patio door as well. I painted all of my windows shut and hammered nails down so they would have to break a window to get in. The door they kicked down to gain entry to the house has been replaced with an awesome sturdy door with re-enforced doorjam. I also installed my own bar that covers the door to make entering even more difficult. I had a security system installed that has a few internal and external sirens that go off and they are loud. All of my neighbors can hear them very easily. I became closer friends with all of my neighbors and we look out more for eachother more now. I even had some guys come up to my house the other night while I was not there. I was told they ran around to the back so my neighbor across the street called the cops. It ended up being some other neighbors just checking out my house because they thought they heard an alarm going off. Basically we look out for eachother more now. The last thing I did was get a big nice heavy safe that all of my camera equipment goes in. I feel much more secure now and if anyone needs any advice about fraud alerts of beefing up home security I have done quite a bit of research and would love to help anyone.

Glad something good came out of it. Whatever became of the firearms? You're lucky to have neighbors that will watch out for you and others. I doubt my next door neighbor would even lift one finger if she heard anything amiss at my house.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back