Literature or videos on using Speedlite

JayG1372

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All,

Can anyone recommend any literature or videos on proper usage of a speedlite. I just purchased a Nikon SB-600 and would like to utilize it properly as fill light and to make my portraits stand out more. The number one criticism I have received on several of my posts is that I should be using fill light.

Any tips, tricks, or points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I am always willing to have a good hard copy of a book! Thank you very much for some insight!

Strobist on line. Look into on-axis fill light.

Besides the manual, the book mentioned, and strobist. There are also many many youtube videos on the majority of camera equipment now a days. There are also vidoes on Nikon CLS system youtube as well. Even though many centered around other flashes. Sb-600's are used in some of them. And helps you get an overall view of CLS operations.

I'm also pretty new to flash, and have learned a lot from Strobist. I've recently been watching various youtube videos regarding flash put out by B&H Photo and Adorama - there's lots of good info there.

The most important thing to understand that you should never mount the flash unit in the hot shoe. It should not be so close to the lens. Buy an extension cable or wireless firing setup of some sort or both. Pay close attention to the advice you get on bounce flash. It is a simple but very effective technique.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back