Little birds

Polygon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Was on a trip to the park playing with the 70-300mm lens my brother gave to me :hug::. This was one of the better images I was getting.

voegel.jpg

EXIF:
Cam: NIKON D50
Shutter: 1/100s
Aperture: f/5.6
Flash: Not fired

Comments and critique welcome.

nice use of a wide apature to create a diffused background, it looks greta apart from the rogue twig that they arent sitting on. i love the greens and browns throughout the picture.

My wife tried to capture a shot of a Robin yesterday but with no success at all, we wondered what sort of lens we would need to get the image, I guess we need a 300mm

Excellent, thank you :)

Thanks for you comments everyone, very appreciated.

My wife tried to capture a shot of a Robin yesterday but with no success at all, we wondered what sort of lens we would need to get the image, I guess we need a 300mm

Well a lens with long focal length is good because you can make them big without going too close and scare them off.

How did the image come out on your monitor? On mine there are green and yellowish tones tones all over the image. But I've just seen it at a friend's one and it looked very dark with almost every greenish colors missing. Was that an exception due to wrong settings or is someone else also seeing the image that way.

Hi,

I like the small garden-type birds, it's nice to see them close up with nice detail. On my screen the green, brown and yellow tones in the background look good.

I have a D50 as well, not had many opportunities to play much with it but I love what I've seen so far. Did you use a tripod for this shot? (At 1/100 and 300mm I'm hoping it was :mrgreen: ) I don't have as long a lens as this, just a 28-200, but struggle to handhold at 200mm in certain lights. Don't really want to start packing a tripod when I go out though, that might make me look like a photographer :lmao:

Can I play with this in PSP to remove the rogue twig? Just to have a go?

On my monitor theres a lot of greens and browns to the left of the image, getting a lot darker to the right.

Somehow the image does not look sharp. Is this the feature of D50 or post process ?

puzzle said:
I have a D50 as well, not had many opportunities to play much with it but I love what I've seen so far. Did you use a tripod for this shot? (At 1/100 and 300mm I'm hoping it was :mrgreen: ) I don't have as long a lens as this, just a 28-200, but struggle to handhold at 200mm in certain lights. Don't really want to start packing a tripod when I go out though, that might make me look like a photographer

Nope, no tripod at all, was holding the cam freely. Tripod wouldn't have worked with that little guys anyway because I'm sure it would have taken too long to set it up. A 200mm lens should be sufficient. The image was still scaled down to about 50% after cropping.

Somehow the image does not look sharp. Is this the feature of D50 or post process ?

I didn't postprocess all that much (just a little more color saturation and cropping). I'm no expert yet but I guess the unsharpness could have several reasons:
- Scaling the image down
- JPEG compression (twice, once in cam and when saving)
- Slight camera shaking when taking the shot
But frankly I don't see much unsharpness on the left (focussed) bird. The right one might be a little out of focus because I had to use a big aperture and they are not on the same plane.

Can I play with this in PSP to remove the rogue twig? Just to have a go?

Sure, feel free to edit. I'd love to see what a PS wizard can do to the image :). If it's better to work with, here's a link to the image before sizing it down:

http://helios.wh2.tu-dresden.de/~polygon/photos/voegel_orig.jpg

Thank's for your replies everyone.

This was a quick attempt during my lunch break, I used the clone brush tool to remove the twig and then smudged the area slightly to blend it in.

I am by no means a PS Wizard, I'm just playing at the mo as I've only just got into this :)

What do you think?

Will repost once fixed

Hmmm, just got home and looked at it on my home pc, needs more touching up!

Most reactions

Back