Little Church in Gravenhurst

It's quite clear what he/she is saying. No need to be a jerk about someone not speaking/typing perfect English.

The version with the contrast added helps the brickwork's appearance considerably.

It certainly is NOT clear Stella what myshkin is saying. So Im not trying to be a jerk. He says I dont like HDR. Where the hell did I ever say that? HDR forum is the only thread I visit on this site. And it kinda pisses me off when people who dont like HDR come in here and make their comments about how they dont like it. HDR might not be for everyone, but its not going away and in my opinion is the best thing to happen to photography since they invented color film. So who is being the jerk?

Ive read all the comments 3 times now. It seems myshkin was referring to someone else but looking at me when he made his comment about not likeing HDR and to stop posting in HDR thread.
I did another HDR of the building as more of the subject.

15ee8af.jpg

Last edited:
myshkin was speaking to Tom in inquiring why Tom dislikes HDR, not you. And thus, why Tom is bothering to post in this section in reply to you. Obviously you like the technique or you wouldn't be using it, right?

FTR, I'm not a huge fan of the average HDR, but then I see one that is fabulous and well worth poking my head in here for.

I like the newest version the most so far, but it still seems to lack ... I don't know, punch I guess. Don't really know how to describe it. It just looks kinda flat.

I agree. Smidge less bright + more contrast? Dunno.

And if you could catch it without the harsh shadows in the morning or overcast, I think it would be brilliant in a higher contrast B&W showing the stonework.

ETA - I do like the flowers - they add a little punch of color. I might be tempted to add a few more in if I was being sneaky. ;)

Its a couple hour drive to Gravenhurst but Im going back for another boat tour. If Id gone back about an hour later the shadow in front would have been gone. But we take what we can get with the time we have. Both these pics have the pop as you say on my originals here. I dont know why but they are losing that punch when they get sent to the site.

Bynx - Not sure how you thought I was asking you that. I feel confident anyone who would read this thread would know I was talking to the other guy. In no way was my initial post aimed at you. Not sure how it could have been more clear, since I quoted the guys use of distaste(as you so kindly pointed out my typo)

So sorry for the confusion myshkin. It was my misunderstanding. You were talking about the photo not looking HDR then said about not liking HDR and I thought you were referring to me. Now that we have that cleared up I also learned that the file size is what is causing all the trouble. I posted the pic too large in size so the site resizes it and that causes visual problems. Here is a smaller file size version of the original.

2vabds2.jpg

Yeah Bynx, I usually love your HDRs. Maybe if the church has more depth or something (turrets in the background or something) it would work. But only having trees in the back does not really WOW this HDR. Couldnt you HDR the inside also? shoot it closer?

The church was completely surrounded by the trees and the only part of the building you can see is what is showing here. You can walk through the trees in places to see parts of a window but not much else. It was Saturday morning and the place was locked up.

Some people just dont like progress.

Progress? HDR dates back to the 1930s. :D

That said, your last try (post #22) is the best so far imo. But it is still lacking some contrast I think.

And I much prefer the crop of post #16

I agree with clouds assessment. Overal though, I think the composition Is just somewhat dull resulting in people focusing in on the treatment which was reasonably delicate (if ineffective) but definitely kinda washed out. Newer edits are nicer.

You guys might want to keep in mind were all allowed to post in here whether we like your images or not.

I have no problem with hdr but it's a tool with subjective use conditions. If people don't happen to like what you did they are just as welcome ro say so as some who says otherwise.

If you guys really want to be surrounded by yesmen maybe you should go create a private forum with specific membership requirements. This forum is public... Just an idea. You're, of course, welcome to keep posting and being annoyed at critics. :)

noone is looking for yes man. Atleast not me. I think its a legitimate question to ask someone who is new to the forum and within the same thread said he hated HDR twice. This is a HDR board, and HDR gets a lot of trolls(he was not a troll). I in no way was trying to enforce anything. Its the samething I see all the time in sports boards. You get tons of people who come on hockey boards just to say the sport sucks. These people obviously have no lives and I think the question of why they are on a hockey board is a legitimate question

Post #16 wasnt a crop but a separate full frame shot. And #16 was resized properly so there was no additional resizing by a second party like host site or this site.
The washed out look has now been explained. The lesson is, when all else fails, pay attention to the rules. In this case regarding file size either in kbs or pixel dimensions. Nobody is looking for yes men. I for one dont learn a thing from them. I also dont learn a thing or want to from people who criticise HDR then follow that with I dont like any HDR.
Finally, Im really sorry you all feel the place is dull. It was truly a neat looking building the way it was nestled in those trees. I couldnt see inside, but could tell the windows were colored glass, but no pictures as such. It still would have looked interesting. Next time I go back I will aim for a Sunday and hope there is somebody home.

Bynx post #22 looks the best out of any of the ones displayed.
The initial post did look washed out as others have commented.
I know the foliage can't be moved from the building but it takes away from the building too many greens in the shot.

Bynx post #22 looks the best out of any of the ones displayed.
The initial post did look washed out as others have commented.
I know the foliage can't be moved from the building but it takes away from the building too many greens in the shot.

When you go to northern Ontario there is nothing but trees and that means lots of foliage. Its kind of funny. Next time you post an ocean scene I think I might mention there is too much water. On a serious note, Im glad there is all this chatter about the flatness of the first shot. It helped me find out why the problems with some of my posts not looking like my originals.

Most reactions

Back