Little girl in memorial

meesh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! Looking for comments and critiques. I need to send this to her parents, so I didn't want a background full of a bunch of crosses. I tried to photoshop those out, but I'm still a newbie and photoshop and photography. Anyway, I attached the original and another one I took, both with no post processing. These were taken with b&w film ISO 400. I dont know what my aperture or shutter speed were set to. Anyway, feel free to edit if you want:)

girlsantamonicawhiteback.jpg

no editing:
94-girl.jpg

126-run.jpg

I really love the secound one. THe place she standing, the line of crosses, the theme park in the back ground just makes the picture for me. It also feels so very natural but then agian it gives me a wierd feeling.

Sorry if thats not what you meant with the picture, but i really love it.

I might not choosen my words well to discribe what i mean but yeah....

-oleg

I really love the secound one. THe place she standing, the line of crosses, the theme park in the back ground just makes the picture for me. It also feels so very natural but then agian it gives me a wierd feeling.

Sorry if thats not what you meant with the picture, but i really love it.

I might not choosen my words well to discribe what i mean but yeah....

-oleg

I agree, the second one is awesome... I would just fix the comp a bit so that it's not so central.

My take on #2......may not be what you're looking for, but.....

Crop, duotone, levels, contrast, blur......

7985-94-girl1.jpg

Hi! Looking for comments and critiques. .... Anyway, feel free to edit if you want:)

There's some mixed messages in these. Your first treatment is probably the way to go if you're looking for a suitable shot to send to parents.

Here's my version for the lack of something better to do today.

126-runx.jpg

There's this weird kind of Schindler's List feel to it (so my wife says) - almost like she doesn't belong in the scene that surrounds her. The third version does look almost as if she's a cut 'n' paste addition round her head, but not lower down.

>;o))

My take on #2......may not be what you're looking for, but.....

Crop, duotone, levels, contrast, blur......

7985-94-girl1.jpg

What a powerful juxstaposition. The innocence of the girl, then the death behind her, finished with a carnival?

:hail: :hail: :hail:

This is a poor scan or the film grain is very prominent.
I got the idea you wanted to take out the crosses, I just put in more sand and lightened it up a little.

This won't hold up for much printing, unless you purposefully add noise like printing on canvas.

Here are two edits,slight sepia and normal

94girlbpn0.jpg

94girlbpn0.jpg

The second one is the best, but i would fix the comp.

thanks for all the comments and editing! I really appreciate it! yeah I wasnt at the memorial site in attempt to take photos of the little girl...she kind of just ran up to me and asked what I was doing...And I couldnt help but take photos of her! Im sending them to her parents just because they generously let me use her as a model! anyway thanks a lot everyone! Still willing to take on more comments...thanks again

I think The Traveler went a little too far.... That looks so poorly photoshopped that its not even funny.

Little might be an understatement.

I think The Traveler went a little too far.... That looks so poorly photoshopped that its not even funny.

Little might be an understatement.

I really think he had the right idea, though. It's not done well as you can see the difference in the sands - - but I think the idea is top notch. If the photoshopping was done well this would be great.

meesh said:
I need to send this to her parents, so I didn't want a background full of a bunch of crosses.

This was done more as an example of how the girl could be separated from the crosses than as any example of my PS skills or a finished product and I said that it would print poorly.

If you would look back at the original, you would see that there was very little untouched sand at each distance to use to correct. If sand from the foreground had been used, the color and countour would have been all wrong. A better or higher res scan would have yielded a better result.

That being said, however, Harrison and his 'twin' are perfectly welcome to post what their concept is of the picture.

You can only fix a picture so much, before it just starts to look like ****. Unless you cut her out and place her on a new background, theres not much you can do to remove the crosses withought it looking bad.

Oh and... My concept of the picture would be to leave it as is. I might crop it a little to make the comp less central, but the crosses and the rides in the background make the picture.

Most reactions

Back