Little Sisters

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I accidentally fired off a few shots before I remembered to move my reflector to the other side on shot 3. But in the end, the little lady was having a hard time sharing a natural smile with me, and ultimately expression won out over lightning.
31279424345_c5b6f88ae6_c.jpg

30911615600_5f26f0fe6f_c.jpg

30911613790_1f9d940171_c.jpg

Unfortunately, it seems that all young kids have developed a "Smile for Daddy/the Camera" smile. My grandkids are no different. Good job on these. On my monitor, it seems they could use a smidgen of darkening, especially on the clothing.

Unfortunately, it seems that all young kids have developed a "Smile for Daddy/the Camera" smile. My grandkids are no different. Good job on these. On my monitor, it seems they could use a smidgen of darkening, especially on the clothing.
I remember when I was 5 or 6 getting family portraits done and I just COULD NOT give anything but a goofy smile. After leaving the studio, my mom says "Why couldn't you smile nicely?" I replied "Like this?" (giving the most perfect smile ever!)

Ah well. As for the brightness, one one of my screens, I agree completely. The one I edit on usually looks good, but I did recently move it to another room where the lighting has changed. Ill give them another once over from my tablet and see what a third screen tells me. Thanks!

One thing I notice IMMEDIATELY and very profoundly is how gorgeous the bokeh is from that lens!!! Unlike many lenses, the out of focus area has a lovely, soft, very blurred and not "jagged'y" look to it, even on things that often tend to look jagged'y and ugly. Is this the Sigma 150mm macro lens? There's no EXIF for me to be able to cheat and peek, but this lens is a definitely, definitely superior imager for outdoor portraiture. I LOVE the way the backgrounds are rendered by this lens!

As for brightness: thse look lightm, and bright, and "summery"....not too-bright, but, well, summer-like, airy, feminine, fairly-tale like.

Maybe burn the edges down with a 30mm diamter brush, like Minus .33 stop? Just swipe,swipe,wipe,swipe with the Burn briush in Lightroom? Might make a helpful difference, yet leave them still summery and airy.

One thing I notice IMMDIATELY and very profoundly is how gorgeous the bokeh is from that lens!!! Unlike many lenses, the out of focus area has a lovely, soft, very blurred and not "jagged'y" look to it, even on things that often tend to look jagged'y and ugly. Is this the Sigma 150mm macro lens? There's no EXIF for me to be able to cheat and peek, but this lens is a definitely, definitely superior imager for outdoor portraiture. I LOVE the way the backgrounds are rendered by this lens!

As for brightness: thse look lightm, and bright, and "summery"....not too-bright, but, well, summer-like, airy, feminine, fairly-tale like.

Maybe burn the edges down with a 30mm diamter brush, like Minus .33 stop? Just swipe,swipe,wipe,swipe with the Burn briush in Lightroom? Might make a helpful difference, yet leave them still summery and airy.
Spot on, Derrel! It is indeed my sigma 150mm 2.8 macro. Originally bought for macro, and now easily my go to for outdoor portraits!

Ill look at darkening it a bit, thanks!

Wonderful! I think these may be some of your best. The lighting is spot-on, the posing totally appropriate, and as mentioned, DoF perfect!

To echo Derrel, Yes!, a great job on the bokeh via aperture selection, location selection and lens selection.
Thank you! I do love a good echo.

Wonderful! I think these may be some of your best. The lighting is spot-on, the posing totally appropriate, and as mentioned, DoF perfect!
Thank you so much @tirediron! I will have to note my aperture when I see the files again.

I think your exposure is more "correct" Lew, but I think the original was more appropriate

I'm with Lew on the 1st two but I really like #3 as is. Much more life in those eyes.

Great set, I really love that first one! :)

I think these are lovely but too bright, unless my monior is off.

View attachment 130918
I know you calibrate your monitor, so you're probably right!
On my desktop (thats recently been moved to a new room with more windows) mine looks PERFECT, and this one looks too dark. I may have to do a print test and see what happens. I know I often get critiqued on "overexposure" its quite possible that bright is simply the style I am geared towards.

Though on my laptop, these look beyond overexposed with some highlight detail loss, but my histograms look "correct" to me....I also know my laptop screen is a nightmare with blacks being too bright. But again, since I have just moved the computer, I may need to do a point test to speculate further. Ive taken the cheep way out, and "calibrated" my monitor to prints in the past.

I think your exposure is more "correct" Lew, but I think the original was more appropriate
If only we could ass see things from the same LCD!

I'm with Lew on the 1st two but I really like #3 as is. Much more life in those eyes.
Thanks, Rick!

Great set, I really love that first one! :)
Thank you! The first is definitely my favorite as well. It really shows off her personality.

Most reactions

Back