Live Events

Feenix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,

I've been shooting live events for a few weeks now and through some connections I have i've managed to wrangle my way to shooting a fairly big band at the start of May (Namely drum & bass group "Pendulum")

The reason I need help is that nearly all of the live event shooting i've done so far i've been using flash. Shooting DJ's quite close up in Av with F4.0 and ISO 1600, then tweaking the exposure adjustment as needed. It's worked pleasingly, capturing the moment of the flash and leaving trails behind.

The problem though is that at the Pendulum concert I wont be able to shoot with flash, and i'll be in a pit so there's that distance which i'm not used to. I did one show before for a band called "The Story So Far" and I didn't use flash for that. It went well for them but I personally wasn't best pleased with those photos. They were far too blurry for my liking and I really don't want that to happen for this shoot.

If you guys have advice on any of the following points i'd be extremely grateful. Especially concerning what kind of lens to use as i'm going to buy a new one for it. I have an EOS 400D

What kind of lens should I be using?
Best place to buy lenses?
What mode should I be in?
Aperture?
White balance?
Basically, how to avoid too much blurring in low light with moving subjects, and anything else I should know.

I have posted a thread like this before so apologies if anyone read that and is now reading this :p

Aperture wide open in Aperture Priority. You will want the quickest shutter possible. White Balance will be tricky since there will be all sorts of lighting type going off. Shoot Raw with WB set to Auto so you can always tweak it later. Thats about all the advice I can give you at this point. I have not had the opportunity to shoot at a gig like you, but I do want to congratulate you for the chance to shoot Pendulum. They are awesome. I had to pay big bucks to get their album special ordered here to Canada. If you can, post the pics after the gig.

cant offer an advice sorry. but

<3 pendulum !

congratz!

Likely something like a 85mm F/1.4 or a 50mm F/1.4 is going to be needed as well as you jacking up the ISO to maximum or near that AND some noise removal software like NoiseImage or Noise Ninja.

.. Or at least a 1.8. I just got the 50 f/1.8 and I'm very satisfied, and I hear that Canon has a 50 1.8 that's just as good as the Nikon's version.

.. Or at least a 1.8. I just got the 50 f/1.8 and I'm very satisfied, and I hear that Canon has a 50 1.8 that's just as good as the Nikon's version.

Although a good lens to play with, I would not count on it in this situation, a 50mm 1.4, is about $309 plus shipping at B&H, and an 85 1.8 is $339. Shooting from the pit, I would think maybe the 50 would work well if you have a bit of room to move, It they are pretty far upstage though, you may want that 85mm. But I think that the 50mm 1.4 is a solid start. If you can afford it buy both and another XT/i. But buy the 50, maybe rent another body and 85mm for the day.

B&H has great prices and service; use the link at the top right and you help this forum. :D

I guess we should have asked what gear you already have? :mrgreen:

I guess we should have asked what gear you already have? :mrgreen:

I bought the 400D with the bundled lens, although it comes with a different one in the US than it does in Europe. Here its the EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6. Do I really need another one or will this do?
I guess part of me just wants a bigger lens to look more professional, or at least a lens hood. This is a big shoot for me and if it goes well I might be able to shoot Pendulum again only they'll be playing with the likes of Linkin Park, Jay-Z and N.E.R.D. So I need to go all out.

To be perfectly honest, my first live shoot ever was the 31st of March this year. Since then i've been exceedingly lucky and managed to shoot some big names in the drum and bass world. I'm in over my head a little bit and trying to blag my way through a lot. I never expected so much to happen so quickly so I need to play catch-up fast.

Most reactions

Back