Live View in a DSLR... (NOT what I thought)

I have only had my 50D for a month and it is my 1st camera with LiveView. I really like it when shooting portraits with a tripod. I haven't found it as useful for anything else.

Im still a newbie to the dslr world but ive already come to like the live view on my D5000. Yes it is slow to focus BUT sometimes FOCUS speed isnt important AND I can still Manual Focus at anytime if its an issue.

The biggest bonuses Ive noticed so far is 1) when trying to get ackward shots like near ground level. You can view the LCD (especially if its rotatable) without near as much hassle. and 2) you can turn on the GRAPH that will help you compose your pictures especially if trying to set up a shot via RULES OF THIRD.

Like Jeweler said, its another option in a huge bag of tools. In no real way useless or stupid. But thats just my opinion on the subject.

My d5000's pivot screen is amazing and helps me get the low shots i get and also over head shots looking down at something. I love live view for those reasons. other than that...its usually off

If you want to use Live View like the camera was a point and shoot, you should have bought a point and shoot. Live view is a powerful tool for DoF preview, and on full zoom shots to ensure absolute focus beyond what the human eye can manage. As stated, it's just one of many tools in the modern DSLR and was never meant to replace the viewfinder.

Everybody goes through this the first time they see an SLR.

What do you mean you can't look at the screen to take a picture? That's stupid!

When, in fact, composing using the LCD is usually stupid in itself ;)

How old are you? When I was first starting film P&S and SLR cameras didn't have a live view option.

I would tend to say those that say that liveview is useless on a DSLR are those that do not have it, or those that have a "crippled" version of it with slow focus and other issues.

Anyone who says that liveview is useful is someone with a Sony, Panasonic or other top liveview system that uses it. The tiltable LCD screen makes it even more useful.

Liveview does not replace the viewfinder but it is certainly a useful and sometimes necessary alternative in some shooting situations. It is perfect for shooting over the heads of a crowd or to avoid getting down into the mud, or kneeling on dirty floors. It is ideal for street shooting, shooting in a museum, and shooting kids. I used it once even to shoot down from the cross beams of a mine that were at arm's length above my head. With liveview you can often get the shot faster in some situations because you are moving the camera rather than moving yourself.

skieur

Skieur, I agree with you 100%. Even the liveview on my camera 40D is not as good as the others, I still find it useful sometimes.

Like this photo, I took it at my lunch break and I was wearing shirt and tie ... I do not think I could do it that easy without liveview or I will get my clothes dirty.

3483059287_845609df13.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back