Live view on SLR different from P&S

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by hoboahoy, Aug 14, 2009.

1. hoboahoy

hoboahoy TPF Noob!

I've heard of but never used a live view on an SLR. Could you explain how the live view mode on SLR is different from P&S camera's? I use the mode on my P&S camera all the time. Why is it difficult or nonsuitable to use the live view on SLR camera for a fast paced action scene while most of cheap P&S cameras have a functional working live view mode? Thank you.

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know, slower focus maybe?

That said, I used to use a camera with nothing but 'live view' (point and shoot fuji)... loved it!

However once I got a DSLR I hate Live View. I'd much rather look through the viewfinder than the big screen.

3. Opher

Opher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I tried live view on my Canon XS and HATE it. I read the manual 20 times and still cant get auto while in live view. It is published that it is much slower but i would be happier if i could get it to work.

There is one thing i like about live view. If you have time and want a exelent foucus than you can "zoom" in live view. Dont use it much bet meh.

Hope this helped.

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The answer is it's not, and that's the problem. DSLR users are used to seeing things happen through the viewfinder, not on an LCD screen. We are used to the ultra fast and dead accurate phase detection focusing systems. We're used to holding our cameras properly not at arms length.

Live view on a DSLR from what I've seen is the same as liveview on a P&S. There's a couple of hundred ms delay in the video feed which adds to the delay of the shutter negating the benefits of the very short (<200ms) shutter release times. When the mirror is flipped up in a DSLR, phase detection autofocus is disabled and the camera reverts to the same contrast detection system used in P&S cameras significantly reducing the quality of AF (need more light and less accurate). Oh and DSLRs are heavy. Holding them at arms length is a PITA.

It has its uses and if I had Liveview I'd probably use it in some instances but it definitely is a step backwards not just in mentality but also in performance.

5. Anesthetize

Anesthetize TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I sometimes use Live View in my 450D. I just never figured out how to use the autofocus on it but I get aroundthat problem by focusing first and then flipping to LiveView and check the results before shooting. Taking the actual picture has a delay that makes it all but unusable for fast paced action (IMHO), but it's not totally useless. Both these pictures were taken with live view. In the first one I used a large apperture and close range, meaning I had to focus in the right place and the second one was taken with f/5.6 and I chose liveview to avoid people's heads in the audience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. PhilGarber

PhilGarber TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I agree. It's too bad that live view seems to be the current trend. When I upgrade my body I hope I can turn it off and just use the viewfinder.

7. DRB022

DRB022 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah I really don't like live view. That's what separates us real photographers from what everyone else does. But to answer your question: It's really no different than a P&S. Just remember to use an eyepiece that will cover the view finder so that no unwanted light can reach the image sensor.

8. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For all the reasons Garbz stated, I really dislike Live View. And that said, it does have its uses. However, using phase detection AF is possible. It's a custom function that needs to be enabled (usually off by default) manually. On the 450D, it's C.FnIII (8), Auto Focus/Drive AF during Live View shooting. Setting it to 1: Quick mode, when you depress the focus button, the camera will lock down the mirror and focus using the AF sensor, and flip it back up when it's done. (2: Live mode uses contrast detection, as it keeps the screen on, and sucks battery power like nothing else.) If you want to change AF points, you have to get out of Live View on the 450D, as the AF point selection button turns into a zoom instead in Live View, but thankfully, the selected AF point is shown in Live View by a small white box, so it's not like you're focusing blind.

9. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah but that also introduces a delay, and I would think AF-C does not work in live view with face detection since you can't see what you're looking at. Regardless, if the mirror needs to be flipped up then your ability to use phase detection is severely diminished.

10. PhilGarber

PhilGarber TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree :(.

11. PhilGarber

PhilGarber TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    PPALV-Professional Photographers Against Live View-:biggrin:.

12. JFew

JFew TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There was a time when DSLRs were for professionals and people that understood the basic concepts of photography only. Same for SLR cameras like my Minolta X-370 - a camera that has no auto features, and a light meter that barely works. There was a time when it actually took some basic understanding of things like Aperture and Shutter Speed to use a camera. Why buy an expensive DSLR just so you can put it in Auto Mode and never use any of the manual functions? I just plain don't get it. Heh, and don't get me started on DSLRs that have "Movie Mode" now! :grumpy: