Live view on SLR different from P&S

Heh, and don't get me started on DSLRs that have "Movie Mode" now! :grumpy:

Yeah! I hate that. If you make any piece of technology do-it-all, it won't do anything well. I'd reckon the Videographer (that a word:drool:?) community is probably not to happy with the "video mode" on still cameras either.

Yep, videographers are the same thing as photographers, just with movies instead of still images.

It's just an insult, plain and simple. That's like putting a still camera on a high-end HD video camera...it's just stupid! What they don't realize is...when you build something into a camera that it's not really designed for...you create problems. You know what else you create? You create a place for people to ***** and moan about how movie mode is hard to use and combersome on THEIR 3 THOUSAND DOLLAR PROFESSIONAL DSLR. Ugh...it's so bloody stupid. If you write a review for a professional DSLR and it has movie mode...and you're supposed to be some kind of reknowned reviewer of such things...why the hell would you list "shotty movie mode" as one of the cons of the camera? HELLO...it's a DSLR!

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

I'm studying videography techniques and thinking about how to incorporate video with my still photography.

^^This.

Just because it's there it doesn't mean you have to use it. Heck, Liveview isn't even the default setting nor does it's existence make your pictures worse. The same goes for video. I've seen great short films shot with a 5D MkII and I've seen terrible ones. But then again, I've seen great filme shot in hollywood and I've seen terrible ones.

I would very much like to try one out and learn something a whole new art.

I think first of all, it needs to be recognized that Live View is different on every DSLR camera. Contrary to Canon, on Sony the autofocus is just as fast on Live View as it is with using the viewfinder and that means faster than some Canon models.

Live view with a tilt screen is also extremely useful. It is not necessary to have your arms stretched out at all. The camera can be handled like any top view, large format camera. This is not to say that anyone with a DSLR would only use Live view but rather that Live View offers a second option for getting the shot. When you put your eye to the viewfinder, people change and pose etc. That is when a tilt screen and live view produces a more natural shot. In some light situations, live view provides a better indication of what is in the frame than the viewfinder. Needless to say for low angle shots, it is much better to use a tilted viewfinder and live view than kneeling in the mud with good clothes on. Shooting over the head of crowds is also very effective with live view and a tilted lens.

Bottom line is that if you know how to put it to good use, LIVE VIEW is an excellent feature, particularly on the Sony with a G lens or Zeiss lens.

skieur

Heh, and don't get me started on DSLRs that have "Movie Mode" now! :grumpy:

Yeah! I hate that. If you make any piece of technology do-it-all, it won't do anything well. I'd reckon the Videographer (that a word:drool:?) community is probably not to happy with the "video mode" on still cameras either.

Yeah even if my camera had movie mode, I couldn't bring myself to use it. I would feel like an idiot holding a DSLR in live view mode following around a subject and never hitting the shutter release!

Canon actually puts a still camera on many of their professional camcorders

I think first of all, it needs to be recognized that Live View is different on every DSLR camera. Contrary to Canon, on Sony the autofocus is just as fast on Live View as it is with using the viewfinder and that means faster than some Canon models.

Actually Sony's live view uses a phase detect mechanism. This comes with it's own downsides. The viewfinder is a pentamirror on their entire range rather than a pentaprism used by all but the cheap cameras of other manufacturers. Their live view implementation is also by far the most expensive compared to the body it's in. It necessitates a second AF unit and additional technology in the prism housing to move the pentamirror around. The AF units in modern DSLRs are the second most advanced system next to the sensor itself. So something had to give when they put two into the one camera. The a900 has a hole 9 AF units, just like my 4 year old Nikon D200.

I'm not against the bonuses of having live view until it actually cuts into the budget or the features of what I'm paying for in the camera. Even if it is a fast focusing system 9 AF points on the top of the line camera is poor by todays standards.

1. DSLR Live view is rubbish quality, pretty pixelated.
2. The autofocus doesn't work unless you go into the menus and turn the "Live focus mode" on which then works slowly by pressing the AE Lock button thus loosing the ability to AE lock
3. It does come in handy for akward angle shots but I'd leave it.
The popout screens, although looking very very amatureish save you £100 - £200 you would spend for a Right angle Viewfinder to shoot those akward angles.

Last edited:
I use the viewfinder 99% with my DSLR, but sometimes, liveview comes in handy.

For example, I wanted to compose this photo with a blur background and the water reflected the color of the grass. So I needed to position the camera couple inches from the grass field I was standing on.

With the help of liveview, I was able to focus, compose and snap it.

3483059287_845609df13.jpg

LIke most people I use my viewfinder atleast 90% of the time. But there are times when the liveview and tilting screen on my Sony A300 are very usefull and its easy to use.

You just flip the switch on the top of the camera from OVF to Liveview. And everything works as it should. It focus just as fast as when using the viewfinder. There's no changing of settings to get everything to work.
The added feature of liveview and a tilting screen is very helpful for those awkward low angle shots, or the over the head shots. While at Giants training camp a few days ago I wouldn't have gotten half the shots I did without the aid of liveview and the tilting screen.
Now I do agree that without the tilting lcd screen liveview is really pretty useless.

2. The autofocus doesn't work unless you go into the menus and turn the "Live focus mode" on which then works slowly by pressing the AE Lock button thus loosing the ability to AE lock

NooooOOOOooo...Just separate your AE and AF lock buttons.

1. DSLR Live view is rubbish quality, pretty pixelated.
3. It does come in handy for akward angle shots but I'd leave it.
The popout screens, although looking very very amatureish save you £100 - £200 you would spend for a Right angle Viewfinder to shoot those akward angles.

You are talking about your particular camera. That is NOT the case with mine.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back