Living creature in lens !

prosportimages

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Nikon 300mmED F4 lens, which appears to be sealed all round, but there is a little white creature inside which spends its time walking accross the front element !!
Has anyone else had a similar event, or does any reader know how to remove the front glass to clean it.
Its obviously a dust mite or something, about .2 mm accross under magnification.

thats really funny...the only thing i could think of is to get it professionally cleaned

There are a number of mites that hatch in cameras in damp conditions. The eggs are microscopic and airborne. You occasionaly get them in cameras*. They live on flakes of gelatine and similar things. Putting the camera in to a dry environment gets rid of them.
Your problem may be a similar critter. Make sure the lens is kept warm and dry and see if it's still there in a few days.
In any event the beast is unlikely to interfere with the camera or your pictures. You could spend a lot of money to get the lens stripped and cleaned but i think it will go away on it's own.

Alternatively you could give it a name and treat it like a pet.

*A lot of them live in mattresses and eat flakes of skin. Gross but true.

Hertz van Rental said:
Your problem may be a similar critter. Make sure the lens is kept warm and dry and see if it's still there in a few days.

Oh sure...ask the impossible!
This guy lives in England remember? :lol: :wink:

mrsid99 said:
Oh sure...ask the impossible!
This guy lives in England remember? :lol: :wink:

Oh yes - I forgot. That explains why I have webbed feet. I had been wondering.
But by the same logic - I see you live in Florida, Sid, so that would make you retired Mafia :mrgreen:

Hertz van Rental said:
Oh yes - I forgot. That explains why I have webbed feet. I had been wondering.
But by the same logic - I see you live in Florida, Sid, so that would make you retired Mafia :mrgreen:

Waddya mean retired? :wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back