Living in USA/Canada pros and cons?

Additionally, I feel that I am blessed to live in America.
again, my grandson, how so?

All I meant gramps is that I'm blessed to have been born here. I could have been born in a land where I was locked into a social status at birth and is unchangable or where my wife, mom, or sisters could be beaten, stoned, or have acid thrown on their faces. So I consider myself blessed. ;)

Snow that you can't ski on is just annoying.

How come no one has yelled 'Murica, yet?

Like this:
2d2.jpg

Ah yes, I don't think anyone has done that yet. Though I suspect a few were thinking it ;)

not ready for accumulating snow yet. just ... NO.

... to be fare we have a lot when compared to...:801:
I always thought you were a man of undoubted taste and refined judgement in addition to your photographic skills.
Thanks for making my day John, can I put this in my resume? :bouncingsmileys:
On the downside, I do wish I could spell "fair" properly! :blush:

I'm a born & raised Canadian, but I have family in the USA and have travelled there many times.

Compared to most other parts of the world, Canada and the US are quite similar.
As someone mentioned, a decision that is just as big as which country, would be where (in either county) you want to live.
Many people have mentioned climate, and sure, Canada is more northern and thus colder on average, but something like 90% of Canadians live within 100km of the southern border, and if you look at the southern tip of Canada (in the province of Ontario), it's as far south as Northern California. There are places in Canada where it gets very hot & humid in the summer, and most people have to rely on air conditioning. Just like there are places, in the USA that have long cold winters etc.

Another thing to consider, which I don't think I've seen mentioned, is the local economy of the area. For example, the Eastern Maritime provinces of Canada are very different from the rest of Canada. Great scenery, usually great 'salt of the Earth' people, but jobs have typically been harder to come by. But that also means that it can be a lot more affordable to live there (provided to already have money or can find a way to make a living).

Compare that to the area that I'm in, Mid-North Alberta. Here the economy is driven by the oil & gas industry. If you wanted to move to a place where you have a good chance of finding a good job, this would probably be it. The economy has been booming for the past decade and besides a few blips, has been very strong for 20-40 years.

That doesn't equate to a perfect place to live though. The cost of living is pretty high. Not as much as living in a very large city, but still high. The cities have grown too fast and become very spread out. There aren't enough schools or hospitals to properly service all these new areas and thongs of people moving in.

There are vast expanses of farm land in both the US and Canada. There are plenty of places to live that have a 'small town' experience. One difference between small towns in the US and Canada (from what I can tell), is how isolated they might be. In the US, no matter where you are, you can travel in almost any direction and find other similar towns, larger cities etc.
While up in Canada, especially a little more north like I am, when you start going north, the towns get smaller and smaller and eventually stop.

So basically, you could move to many different places in the USA or Canada, and something as simple as your ability to find a good job (and a lower cost of living), could be the factor that makes or breaks you.

Most reactions

Back