• I would be in there once a month

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • once a week

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • they would have to start charging me rent

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
It's just a store.

I live close to a big camera store near me, and I go there *maybe* twice a year. Most of my stuff I get over the net. Service is normally equal or better and I do all my own research. Prices are much better for me over the net than local.

I do all my own research.

That is one thing I forgot to put in my post. I have usually spent hours of research before spending my limited budget on a big purchase (like lens or body). There isn't much the salespeople are going to say in 5 minutes that changes my mind or compares to the price shopping and information I already have. Sometimes I am pretty sure I know the same or more about the range of prices and comparable products for the particular product I am looking for.

It's just a store, but I know for a fact that if I walked in there to buy something menial like a microfiber cloth, that i'd probably walk out with something else as well.

I live within easy walking distance of B&H. Adorama isn't much further away. I visit both stores quite often for bits and pieces, film, paper, that sort of stuff. I usually go elsewhere for major lighting and sound items, and they don't sell much motion picture equipment. Most of the time I know pretty much what I want, but B&H is a great place to go and have a look at things like monitors, try cameras etc before you buy. I often visit with friends who have not made their mind up so that we can try a few options. There's nowhere quite like it in that respect.

The new layout of B&H isn't quite as mechanically exciting as the old one, however.

Best,
Helen

I live within 45 minutes of the store. Been there once, and that was because I was at the photo expo and they bussed us over and gave us snacks :) . I order everything online after all who wants to pay sales tax. I go to the city a couple of times a month and sabbath is right much more interesting things to do than look at a whole bunch of stuff I won't be buying right then and there.

Dude, chill, it's just a store AND you can see all of their stuff online a lot more conveniently.

I look online...the salespeople aren't really gonna tell me something I don't know about the equipment...
I would still order online.

OtherBob and Digirtal Flower nailed it. B&H is NOT easy to get to on foot or by subway and a pain to get to by car ($30 min for parking).

NYC has plenty of more interesting attractions. Try the Empire State Bldg on a clear day with a long lens or the Bronx Zoo. Love the museums, Central Park and Broadway. Plenty of other interesting places as well - go down to the Battery or up to Grant's Tomb or the Cloisters (I love that place - took my wife there on our first date).

Adorama and 17th Street Photo are easier to get to by Subway - and in a more interesting neighborhood.

However after having said all that, I prefer the staff at B&H. Adorama lost a nice sale because they really didn't want to open a box to let me try out a lens. B&H will let you try out every lens on the shelf if you want.

I bought a used 200-400 at B&H simply because they had it (good condition and decent price) when I was there checking out less expensive options. I doubt that the staff at Adorama would have even made the suggestion. In that sense B&H has no equal - if you want to try out anything - it's the place to go.

Unfortunately, it's still usually cheaper to buy out of state from ePhotocraft or others when it's a high $$ item and you know what you want to save on the substantial NYC tax. I'd LOVE to do more business with 'local' shops but the only one that stocks anything is absurdly overpriced and delusional - they have a very nice new-in-box 300mm two generations old priced higher than the new AF-S version is anywhere else.

Actually, the best 'local' shop I ever saw was in Jackson WY. Nice lady - good stock, knew her stuff, tolerable prices even for a tourist place. Good used selection as well.

Most reactions

Back