Local band

graigdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am good friends with this band and they asked me to take some photos for their first single release. Please tear these appart! Dont be affraid to make me cry. :)

45344670.jpg

45344663.jpg

45344660.jpg

45344655.jpg

45344653.jpg

my humble critique :D

*disclaimer - photography is an individual experience and i cannot fully understand what the photographer is trying to capture, but since u want other's opinions, here's mine :eek: *

#1 love the "frame" and silohoutte feel

#2 could use a higher depth of field, faces more in focus... too much concrete

#3 too far away, faces could be more in focus, i like the composition

#4 great composition, too much background and foreground (imho) .. not focused enough on the faces, higher dof could be used

#5 love it! ... my favorite of them all.. "masterpiece" .. i love the shadows and silhoutte... the mood is perfect and the expressions on their faces :D

nice shots overall .. im sure they're very pleased :D

Since these shots are for a music CD most of the normal rules of photography don't apply. Depending upon their song on the single, which photo most fits the personality of that song.

For example the bench in the snow would be great to convey a unique message about the song in some way.

However the second shot, while I think is over done by many, conveys a message about the band more than the music. However I would expect the music to be much "rougher" with that cover.

The last picture, while it is wonderful in photographic elements.... what does it really say about the band or the music.

Honestly I wouldn't buy a CD with the first, third, or fifth pictures. The second and fourth would sell the CD.

Well I think that the second and fourth pictures best fit the band and their type of music.

The third picture is actualy one of my favorites. It wouldnt be used as a main picture. You cant see everyone. but I just love how it looks.

The bands favorite pictures are the one that there was "too much concrete" and the one on the bench.

I also really like the second one, but something about the second guy from the left bothers me. The combination of his expression and pose just doesn't fit the mood of the photo to me.

I'm probably just being too picky though :)

I would agree that the second from the left in the wall picture doesn't really fit with the overall mood. With this in mind the bench is probably the best one for the CD cover.

I can see why the third is one of your favorites, but just not good for a CD cover.

I like the composition of #5 the best, although it is too dark. I think that the other images will look too small on a CD.

I never buy music based on cover art, and if I was a fan I'd just want to see a good photo of the band where I can see the faces well.

I don't like number 5.
Well it's not that I don't like it; I just don't think it's the best one. It seems cliché, the photo of the band in the hallway. The right wall is what really bugs me though. It looks like flowery wallpaper that I'd find in my grandma's living room. Depending on the band, I don't know if that's the image I'd want.

Anyway I really like the lines in number three. I like how you've matched them to guys to the lights and the trees. The only downside is that you don’t' really get a good look at the whole band.

Anyway my favorite photo is number 4. I like the idea of a bunch of guys sitting out in the middle of nowhere. It seems odd that they'd just be sitting there, but they look like they're having a lot of fun and that works for me. I think it's nice to see a band as a whole and having fun together.

I also really like photos 1, and 2, but I don’t' have anything to say about them except nice work.

#4 is the coolest shot, with a crop you could see the band members and they all look pleasant. I am reminded of old Beatles' footage with them flopping themselves around in the snow. It's a kickin' image! I'd like it on an album cover with the title in the snow in front of them, or floating above their heads in the sky. You did very well here.

#2 is not bad, again all members show, but it looks more like the kind of image you'd send out with a press kit. (read: not particularly artsy, just show the band and read the bio)

#5 does have very nice composition but sadly it's just too dark. Try again if it really appeals to you, but if there's any time pressure you already have a winner with #4.

#1 is cool with the pinhole or Diana camera, but again they're just too dark for it to be usable. I do have band friends and some of them are weird about showing up too clearly (why I don't know, but it's their preference) SO - if these guys also lean that way, this shot is also usable as a second or third backup.

Nice photo shoot!

At first look, number 4 blew me away. I really liked the most, its fun bright and has great tonal quality. Bo made a good point, the pics have to fit the music, so are you going supply us with a few mp3's so we can make an informed decision? ;)

Actually all the shots to me are quite good. But i just keep going back to shot 4. I reminds me of an old cranberries cd cover, where the band is sitting on couch in various landscapes. :thumbsup:

The first one is too dark to convey much at all.
The second is OK but the feet are missing from the guys on the right and it would be better if the group filled the pic more.
In the next one the guy at the front is the only one really visible and if he's the main subject he should be more obvious.
I like the guys on the bench but again I feel they should be larger and more obvious.
The last one is undoubtedly the best but too dark.
All just my opinions.

Good shots! It is clear that you are friends with the band. They seem very comfortable. Technically, always keep in mind the Ansel Adams theory of expose for the shadows develop for the highlights.

Thanks for the compliments and put downs. :D

For some reason I love underexposed pictures. And the band ended up liking them too. They decided to go with the bench picture. I croped it down so its closer in and more of a panoramic shot.

What I really need for some of those darker shots is a soft box. I was shooting into a bright window with no light behind me. I used a fill flash a few times but it was too much. Ended up that a long shutter was the best I could do. We are working on another day for some more pictures. Ill post those when I get them.

Ill see what I can do for mp3's. Im sure they would love to get their music out there!

MP3's would be good... then we can judge the picture for the personality... actually we just like MP3's....

So do we all get creative credit on the CD jacket????? :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back