Status
Not open for further replies.

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I noticed the BHPhotoVideo is far cheaper than I bought at my local specialty camera store. I feel like I have been ripped off. However, the employees at local camera store are very knowledgeable and helpful. The online store, I have to wait for week and pay the shipping price.

If my local store has the stuff I want Id go to my local store no questions. The problem for me is, even if its cheaper online (100% of the time it is) it get more expensive by the time I get it due to customs and shipping fees. This is why I ALWAYS try to get my stuff local. Repairs, refund and exchanges are far easier.

And there is your answer. The difference is immediate delivery and immediate well-informed advice.
Plus, B&H likely does a lot more volume than your local store does and can accept a lower per item profit margin.

As far as rip-offs, those generally only happen to less than informed buyers.

I buy from a my local shop .they match prices if any difference .Plus i can try stuff at no charge .Have everything i need and then some.I order things through them ,if i need small stuff.then i pick the stuff up at the shop.I also get a discount cause im always buying something .
heck they will even deliver it to my home if i ask them .How much better can that be .

If I need it fast or want to try it first, local store.
If I want to buy a $3000 D800, online if I can because then I dont pay sales tax.

The last few times I bought from brick and mortar shops, they matched the best online prices from major retailers like amazon, B&H, Adorama, so I was happy to give them the business. Drury's in Nashville has matched prices for me on the Canon 5DMKII, 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, and 70-200 f/4 L IS USM, and a few other things.

Try calling your lower-priced on-line store at five minutes to closing and yelling, "I'm on my way to a wedding reception and both my speedlights just crapped out... I'll be there in fifteen minutes!". Let me know how that works for you! ;)

I have no 'brick and mortar' shops in my city, and there are many times I wish I did. Mainly for the tips and personal help.

My shop i go to will wait on me within reason .The owner is a good friend of mine .We hunt and fish together .He will also get what ever i need if needed ,cause he lives 5 minutes from me too.Its all good .I havent delt with to many on line situtations .

I'll always try to support the local guy first.

I've purchased products from B&H, but only when my local guy didn't have it. I will, however, willingly pay more for a product if the local guy has it in stock. I never feel "ripped off", simply because it's a conscious decision I've made to support my local merchant.

The saddest thing, and one of the most ironic things, I've seen is when people buy from online merchants, and then whine when their local store closes...

Try calling your lower-priced on-line store at five minutes to closing and yelling, "I'm on my way to a wedding reception and both my speedlights just crapped out... I'll be there in fifteen minutes!". Let me know how that works for you! ;)
On the other hand, I got the 70-200 f/4 at Drury's pretty much on impulse only because they didn't have the f/2.8 that I actually wanted. Any of the online stores would have had it in stock.

So, I guess if I'd called them five minutes to closing that day yelling, "I'm on my way to a wedding reception and my 70-200 f/2.8 just crapped out... I'll be there in fifteen minutes!" it wouldn't have helped a bit.

...So, I guess if I'd called them five minutes to closing that day yelling, "I'm on my way to a wedding reception and my 70-200 f/2.8 just crapped out... I'll be there in fifteen minutes!" it wouldn't have helped a bit.
Well... I'd rather have to shoot with a f4 then nothing... I think the point stands! ;)

...So, I guess if I'd called them five minutes to closing that day yelling, "I'm on my way to a wedding reception and my 70-200 f/2.8 just crapped out... I'll be there in fifteen minutes!" it wouldn't have helped a bit.
Well... I'd rather have to shoot with a f4 then nothing... I think the point stands! ;)
No doubt you do. That's pretty much a given.

I still had all the rest of my lenses, so it wouldn't have been "nothing", and every gear snob on the site knows and constantly reitterates that you can't shoot a wedding or its reception (or pretty much anything else, for that matter) with anything but an f/2.8 or better lens, so there's that too...

No doubt you do. That's pretty much a given.

I still had all the rest of my lenses, so it wouldn't have been "nothing", and every gear snob on the site knows and constantly reitterates that you can't shoot a wedding or its reception (or pretty much anything else, for that matter) with anything but an f/2.8 or better lens, so there's that too...
My point had nothing to do with a particular piece of gear or event; rather that establishing a good rapport with your local bricks & mortar camera store can have benefits that make the potentially slightly higher price worthwhile, such as being able to have someone stay after closing and get you a critical piece of gear whether it's a lens, speedlight, or 2 AA batteries... I'm pretty sure that no matter how much I buy from Vistek or Henry's, they're not going to be able to get me a critical piece of equipment in fifteen minutes!

Edited to add: The real event to which I refer actually stemmed from the need for a fresh roll of savage seamless after an unfortunate incident involving an less than thoroughly trained dog, a full bladder (his, not mine) and a charity event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back