locally, what inspires you?

Good God, of all the places to be in, Montreal has likely as close to an infinite capacity to find interesting places shoot pictures of as any place on earth!

I agree, but i am not from here originally. If you were born and raised in a place, wherever it may be, you get bored with it after a while. I am from the suburbs of Paris originally and even there bores me sometimes...

I think folks are confusing my usage of the term "locally" with "driving an hour or two". Locally to me means - "I have a few hours on a Saturday to kill, where shall I go that is very close and accessible". Not the whole day. I can't even get into DC and back, in less than an hour.

Locally is what you think is local, it is very subjective. What defines local to one person is not what it could mean to someone else. I think Niagara Falls is local I can get there in an hour and some people make a whole huge trip of it when they plan to go and would never think of it as local, niether is wrong. All of Southern Ontario is after all just large suburb of Toronto lol. I walk two to three hours each way on different routes to take photos on days I feel like walking, may not be local to some, very local to me. If I have a few hours to kill on a Saturday I do a run somewhere. It is perspective and yours seems to be different then some as I am sure some differ from my perspective of local. We are not confusing anything, your confusing that all people think alike and we don't. It is all so very subjective that word local.

you sound like you're near culpeper. i used to live in alexandria, fairfax, centreville, falls church... basically everywhere.
you're still near the country..... not too far of a drive.
I would try some cemetery photos, some old stores in the country, farms, stands. head up to the shenendoah, there's beautiful country stores with the mountains as a backdrop. Once you're done with all that, move to Florida like I did :) New canvas :)

Haha, I didn't know so many many people on here live in th NoVA area, I live in Centreville myself.

Living in the suburbs doesn't really allow you to take photographs right outs side your home, but there are some great places around the DC/NoVA area.

Do you know where Bull Run battlefield is? They have some great cannons, statues, and monuments there. You should go out there early in the morning on a foggy day, that would make some great shots.

Like other people said, Shenendoah, etc. are also good places to shoot.

You have so much beautiful scenery in your area I can't figure out your problem. With all the history around you from the Civil war sites and others. You also as I said in my other post have sooo much beautiful nature in your area with water to the east mountains to the west your options are unlimited. If you don't want to work a little for your images like driving a couple of hours and in the case of the natures shots god forbid taking a short hike then stay home and shoot pictures of your feet.

I think it's just that I must be spoiled, 95% of my photos are taken in Italy or France. :) A smaller percentage are from New Zealand or British Columbia, or when I rent a plane to go flying or when we've gone ballooning. I think my bar must be too high. ;)

I have the same problem. NYC, that's a real bad place to be as a photographer....:mrgreen:

(couldn't resist)

and I agree with the others: don't be shy, go out there. The macro-suggestion isn't bad either.

pascal

you sound like you're near culpeper. i used to live in alexandria, fairfax, centreville, falls church... basically everywhere.
you're still near the country..... not too far of a drive.
I would try some cemetery photos, some old stores in the country, farms, stands. head up to the shenendoah, there's beautiful country stores with the mountains as a backdrop. Once you're done with all that, move to Florida like I did :) New canvas :)

great idea! I don't live that far west, but I could do that one weekend.

I have a beach house down in South Carolina, I do get a lot of great shots down there and in Savannah when I go down for a visit. That's actually a more scenic place for photos, to me. This area is just suburban hell!

I had a really good time doing a "photo scavenger hunt" for my photoimaging class last week. I think the best part is it emboldens you to ask people for permission to take photographs, and makes you take some photos of just some weird random stuff. I ended with some cool shots, and our team got the most points to boot.

We should get something like that together on the forum, it was a really fun time.

I spent the better part of one day driving around within 30 miles of where I live w/ my 5 year old son looking for places to shoot....and filled two cards. Just get out and drive. Lots of cows, lots of horses, fence posts and barbed wire....

This spring and summer, I plan on doing a whole lot more of that as I have to travel across Kansas following my daughter's softball team - OR BETTER YET - on the bike w/ the wind in my face!

Lived in NoVA back in '68-'69/'74-'75 when my dad was stationed at Vint Hills Farm Station outside of Warrenton (brother was born there) and if I remember right...the countryside around Warrenton, Nokesville, Manassas, etc... was pretty scenic.

Boy, thinking about it, this is a VERY regionalized question. When I lived in Orange County, California, there were so many photographic bujects available I couldn't catalog them all: beaches, muntains, deserts - a bit of driving sometimes, but still a quick way to kill a Saturday afternoon most of the time. Living in Rochester, New York limited the options a bit, but had a TON of historical archiutectiure and the world's coolest graveyard. Greenville, South Carolina was...never mind, I pretenf I never lived there.

I'm in Charlotte, North Carolina, and I drive by something I want to photograph every single day. It's so dang pretty here. The trees are flowering now, dogwoods and bradford pears and cherries - I'm running out of time. Fall colors were awful last year, but so long as we don't get a late frost this year, we'll be in better shape.

This reminds me: There is an old service station on Highway 49 that was covered in Kudzu (kudzu: think weedy ivy from hell that can eat an entire Wal-Mart in a week). The plant had covered mopst of the building and a power pole next to it, but now it's totally dead. The building is part worn corrogated aluminum sheets and that silver-colored old wood. I am going to curl up there with a lawn chair and a bottle of water one day soon and see what the sun does during the day...

Most reactions

Back