Logo comments

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by NecroBolt, Sep 30, 2008.

1. NecroBolt

NecroBolt TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Just starting out with our photography business, which will concentrate mostly on portraits. My friend, who is an artist, has designed this for us. What do you think? We chose the name because both my fiance and I are huge fans of the band RUSH, and Time Stand Still is one of our favorite songs. We thought Time Stands Still has good photography references as well. The logo is in the beginning stages, so please be as critical as you want.

[​IMG]

2. Double H

Double H TPF Noob!

Around the corner from the Turkey Hill, PA
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you go any smaller with the logo itself, the text in the grey circle (lens?) will be lost. The middle S is not as obvious as the T and second S making it a little tough to know what it is right away. Do you have any other versions to look at? I think it needs a little more thought.

3. K_Pugh

K_Pugh No longer a newbie, moving up!

I do like the name a lot. I like how the logo wraps around itself, although i think it's a little 'tattoo'-like if you know what i mean. For portraiture stuff i'd say you'd want something a little 'softer'.. good start though.

4. Shannon Leigh Studios

Shannon Leigh Studios TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Did you know there is already a TSS Photography? Not sure how much it matters but they are a big franchise that does kids Sports photography & school photos. You can Google it. Just wanted to mention it. I think the logo looks good.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with Double H...the small text will disapear when it's smaller, which isn't good. The 'S's look more like '5's to me.

I like the concept and the feel of the logo, but I think that when it comes to logos, simple is better.

6. twozero

twozero TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the first thing i was taught in designing logos is to start with black & white and make sure it will look good very small (i.e. on a business card) and go from there.

i think a lot of the detail you have on this one will be lost and possibly, depending on the print job, may cause excessive bleeding/dot gain (of the inks) and blend to a dark "mud" color.

7. joethedestroyer

joethedestroyer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In addition to the other considerations for text mentioned above, I would try to make the S in the middle look a little bit more like an hourglass. I think if you did something like that, it would give you a good place to center the text, whether you put it above or below the logo. I'd make everything much smaller too.

8. NecroBolt

NecroBolt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Yeah, I did google it and figured that since they were nowhere near me, it wouldn't be a big deal. Is it??? I think they are Texas location. I'm in Pa. Very new to this. Don't have a clue as to the legalities of it. I figured that since the logo is completely different... the name isn't actually a problem? Am I right there? Any advice would be welcome.

9. NecroBolt

NecroBolt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Ahhh... here's the good part. I AM the printer and my artist works in the graphic design department. We already printed out a smaller version of it for a test. The image is direct to plate, so no dot gain. And I'm THE BEST printer, and I have an exceptional press as well. So again... no dot gain. :wink:

We are, however and anyway, looking into making it a bit cleaner. For my business cards and flyers it's okay, but for the website we want a less cartoony/tatooie look. The guy that is designing my website is going to make it much cleaner and REAL looking, instead of a flat two dimensional drawing. Soon as I get another example I'll post it.

Thanks for all the input and advice so far. Very appreciated. :cheers:

10. twozero

twozero TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ya but when you deicide to run an ad in something that prints on newsprint (i work for a weekly alternative) you have to take that into consideration. but you definitely have a hand up on most!

11. Paul M

Paul M TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have to say it may be too complicated to add to photos but would be nice IMO on a site and on cards etc. BTW, as soon as I saw the name I knew where it came from because I too am a huge fan. Great selection for your brand! Freeze this moment a little bit longer and make sure you share your work for us to see :thumbup:

12. NecroBolt

NecroBolt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Always a pleasure to meet a fellow Rush fan. :cheers: Just out of curiosity, are you a member of any of the online fan forums?

I've got to get around to posting some of my work. I'm in the process of getting my website done, so I'll definitely link the site up to my sig or something in a few days.