Londinium

tempra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.artzam.com
Me and the family headed off down to London today, I wanted to catch a photography exhibition at the Tate Modern before it finishes at the weekend and Sandie and the kids decided to tag along.

As is the norm I wanted to take some shots on a walkaround, but I wanted to shoot in black and white, and wide angle so I travelled light - one camera and one lens - my 17-40 which hasn't been getting nearly enough use lately.

The day was overcast, but reasonably warm which sort of suited black and white (and me wandering around) here's a few. (I still have a backlog to process, but I'll get to those when I get to em)

1. Behind the crowds on the South Bank
london_aug_08-102.jpg

2. Recognise this?
london_aug_08-103.jpg

3. Under the bridge
london_aug_08-106.jpg

4. nice place to rest up
london_aug_08-108.jpg

5. Stairway
london_aug_08-109.jpg

6. Grate!
london_aug_08-110.jpg

7. tourist view
london_aug_08-111.jpg

8. lonely tiger
london_aug_08-112.jpg

9. Oh No! Starbucks just ran out of coffee! :-(
london_aug_08-113.jpg

10. That's ok, I'll phone for some...
london_aug_08-114.jpg

More to come soon....

I am so envious of your wonderful range of tones. You've shot so many varied environs, and not a single blown highlight, with great shadow detail.

I'm going to slink back under the cupboard, now. Maybe I'll come out again after a bit.

These are so nice.

#4 is a shot of the "skateboard park". Skateboarders were congregating in this area and sort of made it theirs. Onlookers would congregate to watch the skateboarders. Graffiti happened. Locals started to complain. Something had to be done, they said. So they did something: they made this the official South Bank skateboard park. There are still some kids that show up there, but the hardcore have moved on to find something a bit more unapproved.

Wonderful series, Tony! I like 'em all (and your commentary, as always, is so entertaining), but #8 is my fave.

hmm photos are getting better and better..practice more..

#4 is a shot of the "skateboard park". Skateboarders were congregating in this area and sort of made it theirs. Onlookers would congregate to watch the skateboarders. Graffiti happened. Locals started to complain. Something had to be done, they said. So they did something: they made this the official South Bank skateboard park. There are still some kids that show up there, but the hardcore have moved on to find something a bit more unapproved.

Yeah there were quite a few there yesterday, along with a TV crew and who I think was a presenter in a nice suit sat amongst the skaters who looked less than comfortable - I didn't take any shots of them as the missus pushed me along away from it with muttered phrases like 'you're going to get murdered' amongst other things :mrgreen:

Thanks for the comments Anty and JV, much appreciated!

Yeah there were quite a few there yesterday, along with a TV crew ...

What a coincidence. That was on the London evening news tonight. I didn't realise that skateboarders have been using that area for 30 years. (I've only lived here for 22.) The South Bank is now going to redevelop the area and the skateboard park may become the new entrance to the Queen Elizabeth Hall. They are promising to relocate the skateboard area to a new South Bank location, but no one is holding their breath.

I better go take a photo myself, before it disappears! :lol:

#5 & #6 :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back