London, 20-21 August 2005: First European Meet-up

I can make the 20/21st. I am am just over an hour from Stanstead and can act as a taxi, two if my wife drives as well.

I'm in :D

Hertz, I know what you mean about the photography being limited in central london, but I still think we should keep it in. After all they are tourist traps for a reason :)

We ought to work out a rough timetable for doing stuff. I've proposed the below to get the discussion going, but we may have to change it depending on people's flights etc.

Saturday Morning:
Central london doing 'stuff' (inc. visiting that gallery that Hertz recommended). Hanging around in london will make it easy for any late visitors to catch up with us.

Saturday Afternoon:
South downs/brighton. Both VERY photogenic and easy to get to from london.

Sunday Morning:
Oxford?

Sunday afternoon - will people be around or do you have planes to catch?

I think that where the meet-up occurs is down to LaPhoto and Mentos. They are travelling the furthest and have to find some accomodation - and decent, reasonably priced accomodation in London is like rocking horse poo.
Then again, travelling across London - even getting out of it - can take quite a while.
LaPhoto has suggested Cambridge - which offers a lot of possibilities and is much easier to navigate around. We could even organise a picnic - something I wouldn't advise trying in the smoke.

I have made another suggestion to LaPhoto - but she hasn't responded to it (*taps foot impatiently whilst waiting*)

Hertz van Rental said:
...(*taps foot impatiently whilst waiting*)

Oooops! :blushing:
Must confer about things with my sister. She has mentioned "nice, cosy, reasonably priced B&B" several times over... Tent and camping were not two words she used...! Erm...

Foodwise, my sister has mentioned the words "supermarket" and "picnic".

I'll put myself in touch with her later today, since it is her birthday...

Somehow she had come up with a couple of place names that mean nothing to me but sound interesting (have been to the local websites also):

Saffron Walden
Audley End
Finching Field

That's probably where I shall go and look for accomodation.
If we get enough drivers and their cars to go to wherever we shall actually meet in the end, we might also travel to various places (?)

I only suggested it as an 'if all else fails' option - and it wouldn't really be camping.
But I think that things have got to basically revolve around you and Mentos.
Finchingfield is usually described as the most photographed village in England - just thought I'd warn you.

LaFoto said:
Oooops! :blushing:
Must confer about things with my sister. She has mentioned "nice, cosy, reasonably priced B&B" several times over... Tent and camping were not two words she used...! Erm...

Foodwise, my sister has mentioned the words "supermarket" and "picnic".

I'll put myself in touch with her later today, since it is her birthday...

Somehow she had come up with a couple of place names that mean nothing to me but sound interesting (have been to the local websites also):

Saffron Walden
Audley End
Finching Field

That's probably where I shall go and look for accomodation.
If we get enough drivers and their cars to go to wherever we shall actually meet in the end, we might also travel to various places (?)

Oooh, I know all three of those places. They are based in North West Essex, right up near the borders with Cambridgeshire, I'd say less than a 30 minute drive from Cambridge itself. Finchingfield is by far the most gorgeous little village you could ever hope to see, although if you were staying at any of these places I would recommend you hire a car because public transport in those parts is down to the bare minimum.

These places are very picturesque in themselves. You'd have hours of fun exploring them and probably wouldn't make it to Cambridge! This is where Finchingfield is, and Audley End is a tiny place just outside of Saffron Walden. Another gorgeous village I could rant about for hours. PM me if you want any more info. I'd be pleased to help.

Right, finally found out whats happening in my life.

My wife is working that weekend, but there is a possibility that I can get someone to look after the kids, otherwise, I would be able to get somewhere in the afternoon - leave Oxford at about 1.30.

On the Sunday, I'm going to a christening, so thats out - unless you guys want a photo opportunity in Oxford :D C.S. Lewis is buried in the churchyard somewhere I think, and there may be crows!! (bus every ten minutes from central London)

As it stands, If I leave here in the afternoon, I should be able to make wherever it is in an hour or two - depending on where it is.

Also, if there isn't enough transport I could bring the 8 seater, failing that it'll be my focus as that uses about a 3rd of the fuel.

I await further instructions

As with other forums I'd like to meet the people I've been talking to but it will depend on a few factors!!

1/ Totally out of my depth! I know how the camera works but not how to take good pictures! Would you all want a novice trailing round with you!
2/ Wife & little kid to convince!
3/ Work! I run my own joinery workshop so sometimes I can dictate when I'm off but most of the time it's the customers who are boss!
4/ London! No offence but isn't there somewhere a bit more interesting & healthy than the capital!

Other than that....... I'm interested! :lol:

PlasticSpanner said:
As with other forums I'd like to meet the people I've been talking to but it will depend on a few factors!!

1/ Totally out of my depth! I know how the camera works but not how to take good pictures! Would you all want a novice trailing round with you!
2/ Wife & little kid to convince!
3/ Work! I run my own joinery workshop so sometimes I can dictate when I'm off but most of the time it's the customers who are boss!
4/ London! No offence but isn't there somewhere a bit more interesting & healthy than the capital!

Other than that....... I'm interested! :lol:

1. There is a real mix of experience in the group - that's partly what makes it so interesting.

2/3. You're on your own with these ones. Far be it from me to come between a man and his wife/boss :lol:

4. See above about cambridge.

:)

Hertz van Rental said:
Finchingfield is usually described as the most photographed village in England - just thought I'd warn you.

Well, for me it would be a first.
And who knows if I won't manage to take the most exceptional, exciting, different photo of it??? (Well, yeah, just me: creative in my photography as I am... :meh: :meh: :meh: )

Was busy all day today, no time for any planning, but I might, just MIGHT get round to finding out about accomodation in that area tonight.

How about you, Mentos? And Magda?
Would those villages near Cambridge (and therefore nicely close to Stanstead Airport!) suit you?

Maybe we should now change the title of this thread a little and call it "North of London, 20-21 August, First European Meet-up"???

North-EAST of London, LaPhoto ;)

I do hope that people don't let 'feeling out of their depth' put them off coming to the meet-up.
It's a chance to meet, talk, get to know each other and share - and have a few beers and a laugh. It's not a who-is-the-best-photographer competition. And no-one will be looking over your shoulder judging your ability. :D

Thanks for the encouraging words Hertz!

It's not so much feeling out of depth but more being a pain in the ass! If I got started on asking questions on how to do stuff I'd just want to know more! :confused: :D I believe that if you're going to do something then you should give it 100% & if you don't know how then learn!

I might turn up just to prove my point! ;) in my own car so I can go when you've had enough of me! :Joker:

I'm all up for the chat, couple of beers and a laugh though! Now that I do know how to do! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back