London, 20-21 August 2005: First European Meet-up

Whilst on the side of a hill tonight (see Trochlit procession in Q&A!) I phoned my wife & broached the question of a TPF meetup! I was pleasantly suprised when she said she thought it sounded good and felt like kicking myself for mentioning I could drive her and the mother-in-law down with little Noah so they could go shopping whilst I was out! :grumpy:

Still, at least thats another obstruction sorted! Just got to work on the work side now! :)

PLEASE pick somewhere near to something shopping-ish so I can dump the wife, kid & mother-in-law so I can go out & play!

It looks more and more like the village of Saffron Walden is going to be my sister's and my "base" - that's where I found a nice B&B and even got confirmation that we CAN spend those two nights there. Sounds promising.

So begin to imagine THAT area north-east of London as the most likely for a first meeting... from there we can always play it by ear and go this way or the other, provided there will be enough cars around. (My sister even took the words "rental car" into her mouth several times over... if she pays...!)

Well:

Flights and accomodation are booked!

My sister and I shall be arriving at Stanstead Airport on Friday, 19 August, at 7:15 p.m. (19:15 hours) with Ryainair Flight No. 437and we shall "reside" in Newdegate House in Saffron Walden/Essex.

(see here: http://www.essexbedandbreakfast.co.uk/search.php?id=187)

Our flight home is scheduled for Sunday, 21 August, at 7:50 p.m. (19:50 hours).

Now you can all "knit your plannings around us" :sexywink: .

(I happen to know that Mentos is making her own plans which include a longer stay in the UK than only that weekend, so she and her friend Magda will be pretty independent.)

I found a youth hostel in Saffron Walden LaFoto!!! Thanks to Hertz! So we might be close each other!!!

I didn't book it yet but it sounds really nice ot me and my friend :)

That is soooo cool, Mentos. Please, go ahead and book. Then we are close and can make Saffron Walden our "base" from where to explore into our surroundings.

By the way, any of you British people that plan to come to the meetup:
Who will be there on Saturday only?
Who will make both weekend days?
Will all those who want to meet us both on Saturday AND Sunday return home for the night?

And will there be any other people coming from overseas (;))??? (Like "the continent", I mean?)

adn what is more... we should decide where we all will meet... and how we gonna recognize each other?!?!? :D

uhh there are some problems with this youth hostel ... but you know what?! on the page you posted a link to... I noticed a huuuuuuuge lawn... great place for a tent hahahah

mentos_007 said:
how we gonna recognize each other?!?!? :D
Perhaps we could all carry a camera :lmao:

I think I'll recognise most of you from your photos.
Would anyone like me to meet them at Stanstead?

Mentos, that is the private lawn of the Bed&Breakfast house. They want to sell their rooms, they don't want to offer place for a tent on their lawn over night. I am sure.

Well, Hertz, depends on where you are going to spend the nights of Friday and Saturday... We shall only land at Stanstead at 19:15h on that Friday, like I said earlier on... Of course it would be nice to be met and welcomed by someone upon arriving, but I don't know if that is feasible for you?

eeehhh.. and I thought it may be a good idea with the lawn :p
I keep searching...

I'll come and meet you at the airport if you like? How many of you will there be - was it two?

LMK if you want a lift to your B&B.

Rob

p.s. Choose your car... Porsche only seats 2 1/2 people though!

Attachments

• $mondeo_small.jpg
    $mondeo_small.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 95
  • $porsche_small.jpg
    $porsche_small.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 102
I shall ask my sister about it. She's still talking about "hiring a car" so we'd "also be independent and could go where we want to"... and we only arrive late Friday night (not that late, but at 7:15h, so you might not really want to come all the way from Bromley just to pick us up and take us to Saffron Walden to then return home and come back to the "Official Beginning of the Meet-Up in Saffron Waldon on Saturday Morning", hm?

(If we "had to" choose, I think we'd go for the Mondeo, though)

Big thanks for the offer, anyway.
Hertz has offered to collect us from the airport, too.
Go duel yourselves, heeheeheee.
We two ladies arriving from Germany have never had any men duel themselves for us ;)

I'll give in graciously and offer to pick up Mentos instead :mrgreen:

(It's no biggy - let us know nearer the time if you choose not to hire a car.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back