London Airports

Chaplin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Where would be the best place to stand at an airport, i've seen footage of people standing by a fence at the end of a runway at gatwick, but the closest i can get to Heathrow runways is a top floor of a multi story carpark..which i got kicked out of by a security guard. Any ideas?

The best place to stand for what? To take photos? That might not be the best idea. I'm sure that especially after the July 7th bombings and September 11th and such police will be very touchy about anyone pointing a camera lens at an airplane. But I suppose you can always try. Just don't be surprised if a cop comes up to you and tells you to stop.

Heathrow, if you go down the A4 out of heathrow towards Slough, and then turn left at a big set of traffic lights, you hit a dual carriageway that goes down the western edge of the airport. Drive down past the new terminal 5 building, round the roundabout and back up, and theres a little turn off there - looks like a dirt track. park up there and walk back down the side of the dual carriageway and you are at the end of one of the runways.

Alternatively, they have the viewing area at h'row, although I'm not sure if you can still take cameras up there - there is a small charge for it though, and I can't remember which terminal it is - probably T3

If you go down towards cargo (I think) at Heathrow and into where theres a whole pile of mini roundabouts, sorry for the rubbish description I don't remember it too well, theres a little inlet off the road where my boyfriend took me to watch planes... the planes land just on the other side of the road, so as you can imagine they come right over head, and I mean right overhead..... as in about 10metres or so, its truly awesome, and deafening!

I don't know if taking pictures is the smartest idea but I plan on asking him to take me back there so I might steal a shot or two, and then vanish pronto!

I'll try and get a proper description from him about where it is...

Yes, just beware of police and dont argue :p You should get some nice shots if you stand simular places to plane-mad.com as their images are quite nice, nout special but nice..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back