London Fashion Week

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Rob, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Hi,

As those of you who are subscribers know, I was at London Fashion Week's closing day today taking some pictures.

There are a lot of photos, which you can view here: London Fashion Week by Rob

It was a long day, starting at 5.20am this morning! The amount of effort which goes into these kind of events is just staggering. The backstage areas are mega-crowded, with massive consumption of Red Bull, Evian and cigarettes.

Models are made up, styled and dressed all together in one badly overcrowded room.

[​IMG]

Although the start was very early, with most models arriving from about 6.30am, it's very apparant that there is limited time to complete a large amount of work! Many of the outfits are literally stitched onto the models.

[​IMG]

When the show time approaches, the level of running, shouting and use of the F word increase to a point of frenzy. Model names are shouted as postions are found.

The main auditorium is a large, hot room with loud music, bright lights and plenty of photographers, jostling and generally annoying each other (especially me!). Getting a clean shot is a nightmare, there's virtually no light, what there is can be best described as yellow. A long and fast lens is essential, as is a powerful flash unit. Most of the pros are carrying a number of bodies linked up to quantum packs and multiple flash units.

When a model hits the runway, all automatic settings on your camera will be useless as the subject is bathed in several tens of flashes from all around. This is generally a good point to have a giggle at the people trying to take a picture with their camera phones with led "flash" torch. Many people puzzle over why their PnS cameras can't take a picture. I try and help a couple, and give up, there's no time!

[​IMG]

Models, move faster than you can imagine. Although graceful, they stomp down to the end of the runway at a pace us normal shorties would struggle to keep up with. Panning skills are essential, as is a long range zoom, one minute they're here, the next they're over 100ft away.

I made friends with a couple of models and stylists and generally tried to keep away from the fierce security.

Have a look at the rest in the gallery, as ever all comments appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Rob

• Like Like x 4
  2. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

nice work Rob. i like how you caught the girls during make-up and then seeing the end result. i can only imagine what a day from them is like. i'm heading over to see your gallery :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Calliope

Calliope TPF Noob!

Thank you for taking us through the process! Beautiful photos... I looked at the gallery too! Wonderful!

• Like Like x 1
  4. 'Daniel'

'Daniel' TPF Noob!

Great work rob. Really like the backstage shots.

I'm interested in how you got an opprtunity like that going backstage.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    great series! and crowd photos are really nice... especially photog's crowd

• Like Like x 1
  6. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very cool stuff :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. duncanp

duncanp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great pics looks like u had fun, :thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Thanks for the great comments everyone!

Here's a couple more, as people don't like clicking on links! :)

This is from the edge of the runway, as you can see, there are annoying photographers like me getting in the way!

[​IMG]

This is one of Tom, remember Tom? In action helping a stylist with a model.

[​IMG]

This is one of the models I met outside. Nice young man. All models drink Red Bull (at that time of the morning!), Evian and smoke cigarettes - stereotype? Maybe, but nearly always true!

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking again!

Rob

• Like Like x 3
  9. Fate

Fate TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Love the shots rob :D good job

10. MommyOf4Boys

MommyOf4Boys TPF Noob!

These are fabulous Rob. I even love the way you framed them, it makes them look as if they are right out of a magazine!

11. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh. I like these!
    Wow.
    Interesting to see in how far you and I almost did the same kind of photography this weekend, and while yours was a fashion show and the models real (adult) models on the stage and backstage, mine were little children, bigger children, teenagers, young adults, older adults, all getting made up for their ballet performance and during the ballet performance. And they did not have proper rooms to make themselves up, either, they had to sit anywhere in the room where there was the stage and the audience (pub hall), whether there was light or whether there was none, and they had to change there, too, it was pandemoneum at first...

My performance pics were try and error only, since I had never done stage photography before and ... I don't have a FAST long lens. Can't afford one. But oh! how I would have liked to have one. Well. There was a second performance tonight (couldn't go) and there will be a third tomorrow afternoon. I might as well go back and try to work on my mistakes from yesterday night ;).

My first "backstage" pics (actually taken ON the stage ;)) are to be found here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42744

• Like Like x 1
  12. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Awesome Rob!!

• Like Like x 1