London (Long Exposures)

Arcnewal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lawrencevanhegan.wixsite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These were my first attempts at long exposure shots. To me I think they look good, however, giving how I'm still learning every single time I use my camera it'd be great to receive some feedback.

1205C5DA-0161-4A38-8203-3D12DF43B82B_zps6lpfnkpj.jpg

4DBD9639-A086-4585-9681-975C0035917B_zpsypqt4s6l.jpg

79942A31-9789-4CE2-8A36-71142D74CEE9_zpsadppguog.jpg

6C5A4FC9-53FF-4A27-89AE-C7CEBB788762_zps97rmdmkf.jpg

One thing about long exposure city shots ... you can get some really blown out areas.
I do like the third one though ... and the fourth.

Love the Big Ben shot:thumbyo:

Nice shots! They all look a bit underexposed to me, though?

For example:
LongExposure-Underexposed1.png
LongExposure-Underexposed2.png

Big Ben shot is really cool. Nice shots.

The third one is great. In the Tony Northrup book he suggests for night photos, setting ISO to 100, having a very long exposure so it over exposes and then correcting in PP - sadly I have not had massive success although I have not practiced much
SalisburyCathedralatnightEF7A1490 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Nice shots! They all look a bit underexposed to me, though?

I agree here, all the brilliant lights have been reduced to dull in processing these.

I've still so much to learn, so it's good at getting the feedback from people on here who know a hell of a lot more than I do.

Can anyone recommend a shutter speed that will improve long exposures I take in the future?

I've still so much to learn, so it's good at getting the feedback from people on here who know a hell of a lot more than I do.

Can anyone recommend a shutter speed that will improve long exposures I take in the future?
I would think it'd depend on the situation and ambient lighting.

Try shooting in blue hour for "night shots".

Also, check out this thread: Manaheim's Ultimate Guide to Night Photography

As waday says, best shoot around and after sunset so you have some colour in the sky. This also means that you don't have such a wide dynamic range. I don't know why Tony Northrup says to overexpose floodlit buildings. When you do that you lose all detail. Big Ben for example (or Queen Elizabeth Tower as it is properly known - Big Ben is the name of the bell inside the tower) the clock has gold webbing on it. If you overexpose too much, you lose this. it just becomes a white clock face which it isn't:

This was a long exposure I took during the blue hour. There is just enough detail in the clock face.

westminster-in-evening by singingsnapper, on Flickr

There was a little bit of colour in the sky when I took this, but I exposed for the clock (the shot was handheld) to retain all detail

Big Ben Night copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

I love the pastel colours of the the sky and the water in the westminster-in-evening one.
In my opinion in the pictures of the first post the lights look a bit too flashy, although the editing @waday made improves the darker spots.
How is it possible to set a threshold above which the bright spots are not increased in exposure?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back