London

Adam_Safar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was in town today and after our conference I really felt like going to take some shots of the city.

First stop was Liverpool Street Station: As soon as I took a shot a Police officer came to me and said "You have to delete whatever you just took, If you like to take pictures of the Station, you have to get a permission"

Second Stop was by Covent Garden, I wanted to shoot a photo of the church from inside the garden and they said, "you're not allow to take pictures in here"

I was about to give up and heading home when I saw kind of like a big old building and in the inside there was a park where kids was playing in the little fountains, because of the heat. I wanted to snap a shot of the whole area and they sent me away again.

Now, where in London are we allow to take pictures? Obviously at Big Ben and the London Eye and maybe St. Paul?! I think they take it a little bit serious, I mean I'm not looking like a terrorist or a bad person...
Is there like that in other countries as well? Have you guys experienced this?
- Adam

Well, it goes back to 911... I got the crap from a wannabe guard at an amusement park! Do not even think of taking pics at a train station, power plant etc..I'm in the USA.

hi adam i myself would have kicked off m8 somethin similar happened to me with different results just a few weeks ago outside my house.
there was a police helicopter hovering over my house so i knew there was something going on near my house.
i grabbed my camera and went out the front door and there were loads of police right outside my house and some were armed, i took some pics on continuous mode and caught the cops with their guns ready.
then a cop came up to me and told me i could not take pictures of them arresting this chap(very heavy handedly) by the way.
i told the copper to go do one as there is nothing they can do as the incident happened on my street.
he then told me he could take my camera and i laffed at him whilst taking even more pics.
i told him as i was a law abiding citizen there is no way he had the right to move me on or even think about touching my camera.
needless to say there was absolutely squat he could do and turned round and carried on doing what he was doing knowing i was still snapping photos.
the ironic thing for them was they arrested the wrong person at gunpoint and i know him so i thought it only decent to run him copies off for his scrap book.
what im saying adam is dont let power hungry jobsworths push u around m8 they have very little grounds for moving u on, train station or not, if they harrass u tell them u will be reporting them for obstructing your work/hobby.
peace
vim

hi Adam! you know what? last year after those explosions in underground I went for a trip to London (well for the meetup as well). I had no problems with shooting wherever and whoever I wanted!

Here in PL you can even fire a flash at somebodies face - and they can't make you delete your photos ... you can take pics wherever you want - it is your right.

hi fate
not kicked ass but wouldnt let anyone push me around or the little guy either.
most ppl who object to us taking photos are either jealous or like bullying ppl .
if someone stood outside my house snapping away i wouldnt blink an eye maybe go and check his gear and chat,
i wouldn't tell him he was in the wrong or cause a stir
it helps the fact im no slim chicken and look much more aggressive than i am as i think thats why ppl dont like to confront me too much, to make matters worse ive got quite a few gold teeth and that seems to put ppl off confronting me? (dont ask me why ppl just say i look angry and moody and when i speak they assume im aggressive) i am not at all ask my missus :lol:
bottom line is if u are being harrassed by someone tell them to get a life or a camera of their own and they will soon understand.
peace
vim

199736839_f338c2dd7c.jpg

I was able to capture this. :)
http://static.flickr.com/67/199736839_f338c2dd7c.jpg?v=0

I think you've been a little unlucky that's all. You can wonder around the city and the West End OK. Most stations wont allow photography without permission (it seems to be down to the station supervisor, some will, some wont).

Some churches don't like you shooting inside them without a 'donation', I dont think this is London specific.

As well as the city architecture and the obvious west end tourist attractions (FYI you're not allowed to take pics of the London Eye whilst on the surrounding private property it's situated on) there's all along the Thames, The South Bank, No. 1 London Bridge, Hoxton, the East End, any one of the numerous markets, the parks, Buk Pal, Canary Wharf, around Dockland (although I've heard stories of the tripod plice out there too!), Brick Lane, the view from Greenwich Park, Parliment Hill, China Town .... that's off the top of my head, I'm sure there's loads more I've not mentioned.

Here is a small selection of shots mainly in the city and along the Thames, most of which is within short wealking distance of each other. They may not be amazing photos but it gives you an idea of the variety there is ...

Keep trying, don't give up :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back