Long Exp. daytime?

RedDevilUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
is it possible to do long exposure shots during the day! or do i need some sort of filter.... because when i try, i just get a complete whiteout!! no matter what the settings are :(

You need a neutral density filter, or two.

SwitchFX is right... ND filters come rated in terms of stops. I personally wouldn't use two ND filters on that relatively wide angle lens you have there. I have a 3 stop ND filter used to obtain a wider aperture for a shallower DOF than possible on a bright sunny day.

Along the same topic, I really would like to get this:

http://www.singh-ray.com/varind.html

but its a bit expensive.

i like it, just ordered one :) now i need to get an adapter cuz i dont have any lenses that are 77mm

You can't just do a 'long exposure'...you still need to adjust the settings based on the light you are working with...otherwise you will just get a 'white out'.

First thing to do is to use the lowest ISO setting and a very small aperture...something like F22, F29 etc. Use A priority and set the smallest aperture...that will then show you just how long a shutter speed you can use in that light.

To get a longer shutter speed (without getting a white out), you would use the ND filters.

i was trying to take a long exposure of a waterfall, thats were the question comes from.

cheers mike, and hey usayit... that filter looks cool :)

i was trying to take a long exposure of a waterfall, thats were the question comes from.

cheers mike, and hey usayit... that filter looks cool :)

ND filters, or even a polarizer filter (since they aren't clear glass) are used to prevent some light from entering the lens without effecting color balance. This will alow you the speeds you are looking for. For that nice smooth water look you want something like that.

what filter No. is best, i see a ND8 58mm at the local photo store... is that best or would ND4 be better for all round use?

Lars, i didnt know you could combine filters?? ummm

Now, there will be times that you're meter wont' work with a ND filter on, what you need to do is meter the scene without one, and than use math to figure out your exposure with however many stop the filter cuts off.

Sw1tchFX, this is true, but with still life and water, i could re adjust and re take the picture with different settings... so thats not a problem really

you see where i live, there is a nature reserve (http://www.healeydell.org.uk/)

it has several waterfalls and i love walking through... so tranquil :) you can be in there for hours and not see another person.

i wanted to go, pick a good spot, set up my tripod and take some shots... times not really a problem..... i just want to get some great water pictures

and if im lucky i will get a shot of a Kingfisher too :D

The one technique I wanted to try is where you open your camera up on a waterfall, and as the shutter's open, you take a card which has a Yellow filter, then black, then red, then black, then blue and move the card slowly in front of the lens. The entire scene will maintain the same color balance since nothing is moving EXCEPT for minute areas in the water where it churns this way and that, those unique areas inherit some of the color and you have a really neat look.
There's a name for it, but it's completely escaped my mind right now!

yeah, you can do that very very easily..

stop it down almost all the way , and start stacking filters until

your metering on the water is reading anywhere from 2 seconds to 6 or 7 seconds.

then youll have a good range to expirament with..

the water will end up looking whitish and pretty bright, its better

if you can find a waterfall thats in shade, itll match the rocks better in exposure.

go with a ND, and a polarizer, youll be set..

right thats sorted :D

ordered a ND4, ND8 and a Circular Polarizer

just got to wait for delivery now :( i hate waiting!!

Most reactions

Back