long exposure CC please

tpuma

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Cool shots, I just find my eye wondering around the image.

In the second image your water is the main point but I'm being drawn to the leaf on the top step.

Love water shots. Good first try. In all your images you've done well on the water. You have just enough detail that it doesn't look like white blobs.

As to comments,

on #1. The overall image seems soft, I couldn't find the exact spot you were focused on. It would help if you didn't strip the EXIF data so that others might offer more valid suggestions. My personal opinion is that I like to keep the aperture high enough that I can get a decent DOF on this type of shot. Bright spots in the background at the left and directly over the falls are distracting and should be burned down. Likewise the blown highlights in the water.

On #2, I really like this one, and has the most potential of the three. There are some strong visual elements. As happens sometimes you need to be aware of the angles, and the effect that perspective will have on them. I'd crop tighter on the right, clone out the distracting branch/leaf, and rotate to get a good line from bottom left to top right. Similar to this.
34476752553_1a9bc7ba08_k-2.jpg

On #3, The focus is better, but a lot of the same comments from #1 still apply and all the blown background elements scream distraction.

Last edited:
Thank you for the comments! I like you're edit on #3. I definitely should have cropped tighter. I will keep practicing!
I didn't realize the EXIF wasn't showing. I thought I had the settings in flickr to display EXIF. I will change that asap!

you're on to something with #2. I'd go back and try a longer exposure with the same framing.

Thanks for the comments! I will try to go back and reshoot.

I know there are always limitations, but plan ahead for when you go. Think about the best time of the day for light in this location. When you get there, move around, look the scene over, think about the best perspective. Take several shots, from different angles, sometimes what you think doesn't look good, turns out to be the best shot. However, never forget the most IMPORTANT POINT - Have Fun!!!! Don't let the process become a drag.

Just a quick comment about the lighting - watch the background. 1+3 have distracting background lighting that takes away from your main subject. Remember to add some depth to the image to make it more than just the long exposure - have a main subject, some layers of foreground/midground/background etc. to make the shot interesting for the eye to follow through (some other poster said that their eye wandered around - solution to that is to get a firm subject for your viewer to always come back to)

Most reactions

Back